DIY Christmas Soap

Friday, November 16, 2012
 So I read about this paper solvy paper people use to make patterns.  The idea is that it dissolves when you wash it.....and then I read you could use this to print pictures and place them in the middle of soap and THEY also will dissolve.  I didn't 'get' how it wouldn't dissolve when it hits the liquid soap, but guess what, it didn't!  Oh the possibilities.....here is my first attempt.  I bought some paper solvy via Amazon.  I purchased a bar soap mold and clear and white soap (you could also add a scent, but I'll save that for my next attempt)., 
 I found a bunch of vintage Christmas photos and put as many as I could on a piece of paper so I can make a ton of soaps.  I just printed it from word like it was a piece of paper.  No problem!
 I melted 1 1/2 cube of clear soap (just enough to create a clear layer at the top of the soap.  While it was still wet I took one of my but outs....
 ...and placed it face down.  There were some bubbles I just pushed aside, there are some methods for getting rid of these, but.....I was going to put white soap on top, so it really didn't matter. 
 I let that dry, which only took a few minutes, and then I melted two cubes of white soap and poured it on the back of the picture/on top of the clear soap....ta da. 
Basically, if you can print it on a piece of paper, you can create a soap out of it.  I'm so excited about the possibilities.  These little guys are making their way into some of my Christmas gift getters this year!  Stay tuned, I'm obsessed!

No comments