Sunday, December 27, 2009

Hot Chocolate Mix, and Make Your Own Mugs

I saw this idea on the blog The Decorated Cookie, and I 'had to' try this out for a few MacDonald's who were heading into town (minus number four who is too young...this year! I went to Michael's and bought some food pens from Wilton, along with the mugs below.

...with a few 'decorate your own' mugs to hold the chocolate, and (soon to be melting) snowmen marshmallows. (I was looking for the 'blank' papers, but this one came with three felt pictures to choose between, whatever, the point is the same-crafting fun, and chocolate goodness in one little gift bag.

It was super easy to draw the faces, I just didn't let them dry for very long (they only take a few minutes, but sometimes even a 'few minutes' is hard for me, and so there was a little smearing....so I ate those snowmen, and tried again). There are recipes for make your own hot chocolate mixes all over the net, and I don't think one is better than another (If you know of a 'better mix' let me know!).  Here is the recipe I use (not the same as the original tutorial, but this version is my favorite).  I may produce these again next year in more of a mass quantity for other kiddos, and co-workers because I think a jar full of marshmallow snowmen peering out of a mason jar (I puffy heart mason jars) is too cute for words.

21 comments:

Brian and Ella said...

I totally agree!! thank you so much for thinking of us...what a creative gift!!

the boys are looking forward to coloring their mugs!...just as soon as I can get organized again and unpack everything!! And I think I'm going to break into that cute hot chocolate tonight...it's a chilly one! :)

so good seeing you, Christy, even if it was just for a few minutes. Hopefully we'll get to visit more next time we're in town.

Bruce said...

Thanks for a great post
Christmas Gift Ideas 2011

Penny said...

Wow this is a great way to display a great gift. I love the large snowman marshmallows. Uhmmm... so excited to try this out. Thanks Christy.

Close to home said...

very cute idea, what did you write with cookie pens?

MommysAngels0811 said...

Did u have a recipe for hot cocoa?

Angie Palmer said...

I can't seem to find your recipe for the hot cocoa either...:(

Christy said...

http://christyrobbins.blogspot.com/2011/01/homemade-hot-chocolate-mix.html
Here is the link! I will also repost in the original post.....sorry about that! Enjoy!

Heidi Silwamba said...

What did you use to color the snowman faces on the marshmallow

Christy said...

There is a relatively 'new' thing you can find in the cake decorating section (I bought Wiltons, but they have other companies that work as well). They are pens you can write with on to icing, food, etc. They look like markers, work like markers, but are edible! I believe they are usually called Icing Pens-you can also find them online. I've even seen where people write their kiddos's messages on their sandwich fun.

jofen05 said...

How much do you sell these for?

jofen05 said...

How much do you sell these for?

Matt, Tara, Noah and Chloe said...

What size mason jar did you use? TIA

Amy Lanhardt said...

I used Americolor food pens and they worked out great! Thanks for sharing this idea!

Christy said...

I used quart size jars for this particuar project. :O)

Mary Miller said...

I had bought Halloween writing icing marked down after Halloween it works great and the right colors

Audreeek! said...

I'm not a very "crafty" person, but I'm giving this a try! Do you need to seal these like how you can other foods? Or is just twisting it tightly closed good enough?

Christy said...

I put the choc mix it a bag with a twist tie and marshmallows were loose...ths Lids seal and if they aren't totally fresh they are going to melt in your choc, but I haven't had that problem :) hope that helps!

Sammy said...

How much do you sell these for?

Chelle said...

I saw that the recipe said to fill cup up 1/2 with hot choc. mix and 1/2 with water or milk. But your cute tag says 3 T hot choc. mix. Is this enough or does it need more?

Christy Robbins said...

It's really a matter of taste-the more the mix-the more rich the taste. I do 1/2 c, but I made those fir a friend with really little kids who aren't to picky and I figure they didn't need that much. ;)

Chelle said...

Thank you!