Bob Beamon

Tuesday, November 20, 2007
To make a long story short (which is not something I do very often). Olympic Gold Medalist Bob Beamon came to my school today for a national Diabetes campaign. It was a big deal, and it will be on the local news channels and local newspapers as well as National news stations and papers (USA Today is one of the newspapers I know was there, but there were at least 20 different media outlets). For those of you who don't know (myself included until recently) he holds the record at the Olympic games for jumping 29 feet 2.5 inches in the long jump. Just seeing the visual of how far that is was pretty incredible. Anyway, to my knowledge I've never met any other Olympic Gold Medalist, so.....I just thought I'd share. As for pictures, I don't think I can legally take or share those, so you'll just have to pick up a paper. The kids were super cute though, he was talking about the 'highs' and 'lows' of his life and the low was his Diabetes diagnosis and treatment and he was discussing the nutrition aspect of leading a healthy life and he asked the kids what sort of things they should be having for meals and one little Kindergartener without missing a beat said, "Steak and Sandwiches"....maybe you had to be there, but since I was, it made me smile.

No comments