The Problem With Imaginary Lice...

Monday, February 08, 2010
At school, whenever I hear there is a case of lice (which happens relatively regularly at a school of almost 500)....I discover that I too have a case of lice-it's always been imaginary, but it's very real to me. I make the nurse check my head every time I hear the word b/c just the word 'lice' makes my skin crawl all over, and my scalp itch..itch...itch....and I'm pretty sure it's because the little bugs jumped off the words being said and into my hair. My hair is too long, and too thick for this news not to be the ultimate in drama for me. The nurse can never find any...I make her look...twice. I find every adult over the age of 18, and under the age of 'glasses needed' available to look because I'm sure there is a carnival of creepy crawlies taking root. They can never find them, but I know they are there. The case only last as long as I remember I 'have it.' The problem is, there is no shampoo in the world that takes care of imaginary lice if you can't forget your head itches. I'm just sayin'...sure teachers have the summer off, but we also have really tough things to deal with like imaginary lice-I bet other careers don't suffer from these imaginary, incurable diseases in their office space!

2 comments

Charles and Heidi said...

I share your fear of lice and the power of suggestion can make my head itch. I have found a cure to what used to be a case of pretty constant itchy head. READY? Rinse your freshly washed hair in ice cold water. It closes the pores of the scalp after a warm shampoo and PRESTO!! No more itchy scalp! Let me know if it helps!

Christy said...

I bet the cold spray of water would at least get my mind off the imaginary case, and something else to focus on, especially in the midst of the coldest winter I can remember! Thanks for the tip. :O) I'm currently imaginary bug free, but....you never know when they are coming!