Shop 'Til Ya Drop-Cowgirl Style

Sunday, February 28, 2010

This ain't my first rodeo....literally. Here is a past shower I did take a couple of pictures at (a work shower, so the guest list was broad, and the fixin's were a little slimmer with this in mind). http://christyrobbins.blogspot.com/2007/05/baby-buckaroo.html I've used the decorations four times total, with a fifth time on the way. I always add a few 'somethings.' I have a 'Western' Tub in my garage in my party supply stash (which is basically my whole garage). It's filled with hay, and galvanized tubs, horseshoes, and lanterns, but....I DEFINITELY need a few more things for baby Alexis. It's my first shower for Alexis, ya know? I still have some more things I'm planning on getting...and lots more I'm planning on making, but I'm pretty excited about the start.
-I don't know where I'll put her wooden name, but I won't be painting the letters....I like the wooden look.
-I found the pink pails at Target for 2.50 each....and they were the exact size I was wanting, and I didn't even think to want them in pink when I was hunting down a 'new size' I didn't have (I didn't even think this was possible because I have about 4,000,000 galvanized tubs and buckets, I puffy heart them, but I didn't have 'these.') This will be for a small, dessert-filled favor bar. I only got 5 so I'd cut myself off at 5 desserts. I tend to go a little crazy when prepping candy/dessert stations. There will be 10 little kiddos present, so....I'm limiting the sugar this time for my own sanity.
-I found the tin pie plates at the Dollar Tree (I love looking there, there are so many great finds). I'd really like to have enough of these for the kiddos attending the shower to eat from, but they are all ages, and this would only be appropriate for about half, so I'm either going to fill them with fixings for the BBQ meal, or line them down the kid's tables with goodies inside (Maybe trail mix? Maybe western toys? TBD!)
-I put the forks in the picture b/c I needed to emphasize my restraint. What I WANTED to get were bamboo forks and other utensils, but you have to buy them in really large quantities. I found these for a buck at the Dollar Tree instead (sad face). Instead of buying more 'real' bandannas to wrap the silverware (which I usually do), I have pink bandanna print napkins on the way to tie them up, and close with raffia. By the way, I think raffia, and tulle is a basic human need. I'm not sure how I'd function without water, shelter, raffia, and tulle. I think raffia could bring about world peace if everyone would get on board with the stuff. I'm a fan.
-I think the wooden crate will be lined with the bandanna fabric, and hold some chips, or side dish....or not.
-The pink table cloth is nothing exciting-I'm actually still on the hunt for some western/cowgirl fabric in pink that's price won't give me heart palpitations, or I might use some quilts as some of the table throws, but this pink will probably go under the messiest of the food stations.
-Sheriff's Badges-These are either for the kid's place cards, or on dish descriptions...not sure...I have not made it to this point. I'm actually thinking about throwing quilts out for the kids to sit on...
-What is missing from this picture (among many other things) are:
mini-foil pie pans. I'm going to try out a restaurant supply store b/c this is the dessert I wanted to serve-mini pies, and banana pudding, but I've come to a road block. Nobody has had 'just the pans.' It keeps me up at night....
I also would like some big hay bails for sitting, but I may have to nix this unless I can find a cheap supplier in Austin b/c I don't think I have the space, or the allergy stamina to cart them to Austin.
And there you have another installment of: The things I'm doing to make a difference in this world.

5 comments

Lori said...

Looks like fun. They have little hot pink lanterns at Michaels, dollar section, so cute.

Try short mason jars for pies and pudding. I looked for them over Christmas. Could not find the short ones. You can bake in them. I saw on someone's blog, sorry can't remember which one. You can make and freeze the pies ahead of time and then just bake when needed.

Christy said...

I will have to check out Michael's! I know exactly what you are talking about, I made those one Thanksgiving. http://christyrobbins.blogspot.com/2008/11/cutie-pies.html I think I linked to the site there that I had found them on, but I've seen them a few more times, and love them every time. I like that idea though....anything I can do in advance! I just went to Albertson's (where I found those jars before) and sure enough, they have them, so I think that's what I'm going to do! Yay, I appreciate bouncing ideas around. :O)

Ella said...

love it all!!! you seriously should think about starting a business...

Lori said...

You have won an award, see my blog.

Christy said...

Thanks, Ella, I don't think I'm there yet, and I have no idea where I'm going....or why I'm going that way, or what the square root of most numbers is, but I'm storing up your encouragment for 'someday' when I do 'something.' I just don't know what it is....other than fostering friendships. ;o)