Cobbler...in a Jar, Of Course

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Let me explain why I need more mason jars, even though I've put 'you' in charge of locking me up if I ever try to buy more. Half of my 1/2 pint mason jars left last night with guest. This size is hard to find, and so I want to buy more while I can still find them....there is a more frugal me that doesn't get to come out and play often who is trying to resist and be OK with this possible outcome for the next time I want to use these jars. It's not like I have current plans, so I should be sensible about this....excuse me while I go examine the definition of the word 'sensible' I've never used it in alignment with a description of 'me' before...
I've posted this 'dump cake' cobbler recipe before, but if you ever make cobblers in a 1/2 pint jar, these are the adaption I made.
1. Use one can of pie filling (of your choice) and place the filling in the bottom of the jars. One can filled about 6 half pint jars.
2. Sprinkle about 1/3 inch of dry, yellow cake mix on top of the filling. Each cake mix covered 12+ of the half pint jars.
3. Take a 1/4 inch pat of butter, cut it into four cubes, and sprinkle it evenly on top of the cobbler. (I didn't do this, I just put one pat in the middle, and in some cases it didn't spread completely, so there was some unbaked mix. This was still OK, but I think I'd add this step next time to get a more even baking). One stick of butter covers 12 1/2 pint jars.
4. Place jars on a tray (for easy transportation in and out of the oven). Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown. Enjoy the smells coming from your oven. Top with vanilla ice cream.
This was a good recipe for the shower b/c the cobbler was able to cool, I placed the lids on top and everyone enjoyed them hours later after dinner. Some of us reheated the jars (without the )in the microwave before topping with ice cream.

2 comments

~ Nora ~ said...

I love this idea for my daughter's cowgirl birthday party, but I have a question. Could I use baby food jars (gerber)?

Shwetablog said...

Grt