Lego Cake

Thursday, March 25, 2010
Don't you think this will be the perfect addition to my Cowgirl Shower?

Just kidding....who knows...maybe I'm not. I stayed out late(r) than I wanted at a PTA meeting, and started on this cake late, and I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do after 10...and I do mean AM.
Back to the cake...because life is really all about cake IE sugar. Eating too much, not getting enough, worrying about when you are going to get your next fix, helping the medicine go down. It's...all...about...sugar. "Work Heather" (I have a plethora of friends with the same name, so they each get a locational adjective attached to their name starting now) has two cute little boys. The oldest, Lucas turns 7 this week, and he's into Legos. Therefore, a Lego cake was in order. We googled, and came up with some inspiration. I said I needed to be inspired by a cake photo, NOT that I wanted to replicate the cake (this allows me to keep low expectations). The best looking cakes had fondant coverings, of course. No fondant for me (that's my excuse for less than smooth icing), I'd rather have great flavor. I printed off the picture from this site called strawberryhillconfections, but I went to link, and it's out of business. Her cake looked way better, and I'm kinda (very) glad you can't see it now to compare.
Next, I needed the connectors ('bumps' on the Legos). (Side Note: I know I 'need' to reevaluate my use of the word 'need.' I don't 'need' to do that now though...) I dropped some Oreo's in colored/melted chocolate for connectors (I saw this idea all over the web).

A. No, the chocolate isn't smooth.
B. Yes, I just posted this picture so you can get one more peek at my 'vintage' cookie sheets.
Just FYI: the pre-colored chocolate colors are a little limited at most craft stores, and cake stores when it comes to bright colors. You can take white chocolate and dye them whatever color you want using Wilton's Gels (or whatever you like to use for coloring). BUT, I find it a little difficult to get a bright color out of gels, and I have this whole baby shower thing going on in my life this week, and I just wasn't sure I could stand and try to get a deep blue out of chocolate this week (originally I thought about blue, green, and yellow Lego pieces). Yes, that's just an excuse, but I think it works pretty well in this situation. I used the three deep colors they do sell in chocolates-yellow, red, and green.
I baked three 9x13 pans, and sliced the cakes in half, iced, and then stacked them (I used some straws (instead of the usual dowel rods) in the bottom cakes 'just in case' to hold up the Lego on top, but it's light enough that it would probably be OK without them. Iced them (with a double icing recipe=12 c. total). Connected the Oreo connectors on each Lego. Ate the extra Oreos. Wrote a little message on the side. Caught up on my DVR'd Amazing Race. Counted the freckles on my right arm. Came up with a health care plan I believe all Americans, and maybe even the Canadians can agree on. Turned on Fox News and found out they didn't need my plan. Today's Mission=Accomplished. I've got six more minutes in this day, who knows what will happen next?!?

6 comments

Kelli and Crystal at Thingamabobs and Doodads said...

Hi Christy! We found you via The Girl Creative new friend Fridays.

Awesome cake! Also loved the "hay bales" and badge cookies.

Now I want a treat! HA!

Kelli @ Thingamabobs and Doodads

Jennifer said...

That is an AWESOME cake!! Great job!

Now your newest follower from the FF!

Have a great weekend!

~ Jennifer

even-star said...

pies. in. jars. My head asplode with the awesomenss of that concept. I hope you post it up. Thank you so much for visiting. I hope you stop by again with more great ideas.

fraizerbaz said...

What a cool cake!

Stopping by from Follow me Friday... So, what do you think of it so far?

Your new follower http://fraizerbaz.blogspot.com/

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Christy!!! Wow - you need to link up all your creative projects! I tried to reply back to your comment but it would not let me. Please link up as many of these amazing ideas as you like. I can not get enough party inspiration!! This cake is great and you are very creative!

Hope you have a great weekend & see you back soon!
~Stephanie Lynn

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Christy - Thanks so much for linking these. I just love the oreo cookie idea - so clever!