Pepper Bean Salad

Thursday, April 08, 2010

My pal Jolene shared this recipe with me about a year ago. I think it's such a pretty salad-lots of fun colors. It's healthy, and it's really delicious. I didn't know I liked beans until I tried them cold. I'm 30 (and counting), and still discovering things like this, go figure. I doubled the corn for this pictured dish b/c I was bringing it for a family dinner, and I was hoping if there was enough corn, they wouldn't notice there were...gasp....other vegetables involved. My extended family is so picky about eating they make me look like a contestant on Survivor during the food trial.
Ingredients:
FOR THE SALAD:
•15 ounces, weight Black Beans, Drained And Rinsed
•15 ounces, weight Kidney Beans, Drained And Rinsed
•15 ounces, weight Pinto Beans, Drained And Rinsed
•2 cups Corn
•1 whole Red Onion, Chopped
•1 whole Red Bell Pepper, chopped
•1 whole Green Bell Pepper, Chopped
•2 whole Jalapeno Peppers (seeded And Chopped)
FOR THE DRESSING:
•½ cups Cilantro
•1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
•1 teaspoon Sea Salt
•¼ cups Canola Oil
•1 teaspoon Ground Pepper
•½ cups Red Wine Vinegar
•¼ cups Lime Juice
Instructions:
For the salad:
Mix salad ingredients after chopping, rinsing, and draining. Cover and chill for at least one hour. (I sometimes double the corn, just because I love it, but it taste great with 2 or 4 cups. You can also throw in a 15. oz can of corn, drained, if you don’t have a fresh supply.)
For the dressing:
Mix the dressing ingredients to create a dressing to top the salad. Pour over the salad, and toss well. (Add the dressing right before serving.)

3 comments

Anonymous said...

Would you double for a family reunion? How many did this serve?

Christy said...

I think one serving is enough...it really filled the bowl. Maybe add two cans of corn (like I did), but it EASILY serves ten people nice helpings.

Sarah @ Sugar Bananas said...

This looks SO delicious! (and healthy too) Thanks for posting this recipe - I'm sooo trying it this weekend. The ingredients are now on my shopping list :)