Thousand Island Dressing

Friday, April 30, 2010

Growing up in a world of ranch dressing lovers, I've always prefered Thousand Island. Maybe it's the ketchup? Maybe it's the high calorie content that draws me? I don't know. The problem is, it's never the same out of the bottle as it is at great steak restaurants. I've been on the hunt for the perfect homemade steak house 1,000 Island dressing. I've tried out three recipes now. The last two included a mayo/ketchup mix and a combo of pickles or relish. The following was a little bit different, a little less 'orange/pink,' and a little more to my liking, but I'm still on the hunt....
Instructions:
Mix 1 quart of mayonnaise, 3 eggs (diced), 1/4 c. Worcestershire Sauce, 1 T. sugar, 1/4 c. white vinegar, 1 pinch ground cloves, 3/4 c. bread and butter pickles (or 3/4 c. pickle relish), 1 t. onion powder, salt and pepper to taste.
Serves 16 (I cut the recipe in 1/3 for purposes of sanity, and the sake of my mayo's life.)
You can also add 1/2 c. diced red bell peppers, 1/2 c. diced olives, or a little spoonful of ketchup. I substituted bread and butter pickles for the relish b/c I don't like relish very much, I wonder what it would be like with some baby dills? I'll have to try it out sometime!

8 comments

XmasDolly said...

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad I came back. Great recipe. I never thought of making it myself. It's definitely the high calorie we like so much. LOL Have a great weekend. Hope you enjoyed yourself at my place. ~hehe~

waterwaif said...

I'm your newest follower from FF. Happy Friday!

waterwaif
http://waterwaif.blogspot.com

Sheri, RN said...

Hi! I'm a new follower from Friday Follow, please follow back. Thanks! :)

Kimberly @shrinkingkimberwls said...

Happy Friday! Following you from the FF! Loving the recipes on here, especially the cake in a jar! Too cute!
Come see me!
-Kimberly

TheCraftBarn said...

Following you now...from Friday Follow! Your blog looks very interesting!! Hope you'll visit me (and follow?!!)
Jennifer
http://www.thecraftbarn-ny.blogspot.com
***Stop by and enter our giveaway contest!!***
Thanks!

Family-Friendly Product Reviews said...

Happy FF!

I'm your newest follower...if you get a chance, will you please follow me too at http://www.mommylivingthelifeofriley.com

Have a great day!

Lori said...

OK you hit 100 followers and I am so jealous. It was the thousand island dressing that did it. Just reminds me of the deep south.

Shamrocks and Shenanigans said...

I love thousand island dressing! I use it as much as ranch. I like to make mine homemade too. Mine is really plain. I will have to give yours a try :)

Shamrocks and Shenanigans