Magnetic Frame

Thursday, May 06, 2010

I saw this idea for a frame at McKinney's Third Monday. Frames are one of my favorite things to give, and my friend's will back me up on this, with a groan. I guess it has something to do with the fact that I love taking pictures!
The frames I saw at 3rd Monday were much more polished, but for the price of 1 frame (20 bucks) I will be able to make 4. I've only made ONE so far, but I have all the pieces to make three more. If it were not for the fact that I'm 4 years ahead in making Christmas gifts, this would be slightly 'better news.' Kidding...sort of.
The most 'different' thing I did this crafting go round was play with metal.
I found this 26 gauge metal at Home Depot. I had a stroke of genious, and instead of buying sheet metal cutters I'd use exactly once, I asked some of my friends to ask their husband if they had these in their 'weapon supply.' It's the best of both worlds, the benefits of a husband's tool box, without the laundry. One friend's husband had TWO pairs.

I also bought some tacks....to be discussed a little further down. I cut the metal in half, and then each half in half again. I got four sheets of 6x9 inches of metal. It was not THAT difficult to cut, it was just difficult to cut straight. I finally remember I wasn't really aiming for perfection, and I left it to the best of my imperfect standards. I also cut off the tips of the tacks with the metal cutter. A) Because it was fun to cut metal, and B) Because I couldn't get them to hammer through the metal, and I needed them for aestetic purposes.
I then went back to Home Depot. My plan was to go to the wood scraps section. I made three pumpkin signs from that little treasure box last Halloween for half a dollar. They didn't have the size I needed, so I found a 4 by 12 inch piece for five bucks. The guy who was working in the wood told me they make the cuts for free. This saved me lots of time. He cut it into 4 equal pieces. I snuck a picture in with my iphone. This is what it looks like when someone saves you a bunch of time.

I then took the first wood piece and decided to aim low. I painted it black with some Americana Paint. It took about two coats, and then I took white paint and smeared it on the edges (I just smeared this on with my finger to make it look a little 'aged,' and to make my hands look a little more colorful).

Notice I didn't use chalkboard paint? I thought a magnetic/chalkboard frame was perhaps a bit much. Check my temperature, I don't even KNOW myself anymore!
I wasn't really sure how my trusty superglue would hold with this heavy metal, and wood. I sometimes struggle with super glue and wood, so I bought some gorilla glue.

I put a 'squiggley' bit on the back of the metal, and then pressed it down on the wood. I put some weight on top, and let it dry. I also dabbed some gorilla glue on the tacks, and I did hammer them down a bit. This allowed them to sit flush against the sheet of metal. The thing with gorilla glue is that is goes on a translucent amber color, but it 'foams up' into a white....well, foam. It spilled a little bit out of the tacks, but it was easy to peel off the excess, and the rest held really well.
Next up....I printed off a little message. I used my cricut, but I could have used paint, or stickers. My family usually gets the remnants of my first crafting attempt, so....'family' just about covered anyone that might be getting this. I mod podged the whole thing so it had a bit of a gloss.
I then made some magnets. I used a Creative Memories punch the size of my magnets, and some black scrapbook paper. I mod podged the paper down, then put a diamond glaze layer on top.


The magnets allow me to stick pictures on of my family, and then remove them and replace them when the posted family member makes me unhappy. Kidding! ;o)

I can think of at least one more I'm planning with a fun paper backing instead of paint....and then I have two more 'in-waiting.' I'm sure they won't have to wait long before the need arises to put these last two together.
Linking To













Somewhat Simple
Fun to Craft
Funky Junk

14 comments

Unknown said...

Very cute project!

Lanie from the Trendy Treehouse team.

I just wanted to stop by and personally thank you for the sweet comment about my Mother's Tribute.

I really appreciate your kind words!

Thank you,
Lanie J.


Lanie J. and Co.
The Trendy Treehouse

Jen said...

This is too cute!
LOVE the metal!

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love your blog - just found you via NFF, and got lost looking back through your old posts, the lavender farm, the blue mini muffin soaps, such awesome projects! Great to find another North Texas blogger too... I'm a new loyal follower :)

Angela @ A Mama's Two Cents Worth... said...

Visiting you from NFF. Great blog!
Angela
amamas2centsworth.blogspot.com

casey aubut said...

So cute!
Hey! I am your newest follower from Friday Follow! I hope you can come by and follow me too!
I do have a ton of giveaways going on right now for you to check out! :)
www.aubutfamily.com

extreme personal measures said...

Following you over from New Friend Friday!

Stop by and enter my giveaway:
http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com/2010/05/eco-friendly-peter-rabbit-organic.html


P.s. LOVE all the crafts you did here!

Nicole Marie said...

I love it. I think I want to try and do that too :)
I'm a new follower from ff..nice to "meet" you.

nicole
http://theboyslockerroom.blogspot.com

Stacey said...

LOVE this! You've got so many cute projects! Found you on Somewhat simple and am adding you to my reader as we speak! Thanks for sharing!

Its So Very Cheri said...

I meed to ask 2 things--we need to have either the DIY button on your side bar or in your post and then we need a picture of the Sponsor product you used--if Google is hiding the picture let em know.

We will leave this up for now im case you need to make the corrections.

Cheri from the DIY Club inc;ar

Holly Lefevre said...

Cte frame...you did a great job on it. Don;t you love that Home Depot makes those cuts! I love "This is what it looks like when someone saves you a bunch of time." Thanks for linking up to DIY Club.
Holly
www.504main.com

Lori said...

OK you are coming to help with our girls Christmas project that we do every year. Your definitely in this year.

Lori said...

OK you are coming to help with our girls Christmas project that we do every year. Your definitely in this year.

Crafty Mommy Diva said...

So cute especially those magnets - great paper choice! I love taking pictures too.
I'd love if you linked this up to my Scrappy Saturdays: http://myscrappygifts.blogspot.com/2010/05/12th-scrappy-saturdays.html

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Adorable frame Christy! I am lovin the magnetic boards...as much as I chancge my mind they are perfect! Love the magnets too! Thanks so much for joining The DIY Club this month! We greatly appreciate it! ~ Stephanie Lynn