Arrrrr! Pirate Tutu Costume

Wednesday, September 22, 2010
I guess this says a little something about my personality.  I've been making costumes to be posted in the next few weeks, and yesterday I decided I could not live one more day without making a 'pirate' tutu costume.  I tried to convince my cousin to let his daughter wear this, and I got really close....maybe next time.  She gets outfit #2...to be shared soon.  In the meantime, I will now go find a friend who wants a little pirate for Halloween.  I like to invent friendships around Halloween just so I can make costumes for my new friend's kids.  I guess there is a costume designer trapped in me.  She's not all that skilled with the sewing machine, but her eagerness and dedication makes up for it.  Ironically, I detest wearing costumes of any kind.  So, maybe I just like torturing small children.  Yes, I teach your children.  Fine, it's a joke, I promise!   I only like torturing fellow adults.  Their screams aren't as high pitched.  Maybe I need a pirate costume?   Here is my super easy pirate process b/c I know the world is going to want to grab on to this idea and dress all their little pumpkin-pie-face-cuties as fierce tutu totting pirates this Halloween. 
I used the Life's a Beach Cricut cartridge and printed off a 4 inch skull. 
I placed the outline on a onsie, and dabbed black paint on the onsie, mixed with a little textile paint (which is supposed to help the paint set and be washable when you iron it). 
I dabbed on the paint with a foam brush.  It dried.  I ironed for the first time in about 10 years, and then I made a hair accessory.  I am CERTAIN every pirate spends hours searching for the perfect hair accessory.  I found the pirate gold at the dollar tree in a whole pirate package of fun stuff, which also includes a sword. 
I then made a little tutu to match.  I think almost everyone on planet crafty earth knows how to make tutus, but I'll share the process with one of the costumes in a few weeks.  I'd hate to be redundant.  And I'm pretty sure I overwhelmed the world with my complicated pirate skull and cross bones onsie costume and need to break it up into steps.  (I got the idea for this from watching this great tutorial for freezer paper stencils here.  I've used this technique on about 15 projects now, just not this one, I was feeling a little lazy.) I also have  jewelery, a plastic pirate sword from the Dollar Tree, and I'm pretty sure some striped tights and a stuffed parrot are in order.
And now....I'm off to find more imaginary, temporary friends who will let me outfit their children. 
Linking To:
Just a Girl
Entertain Exchange

20 comments

Anji* said...

Arrrr! That costume be fit to shiver some timbers come Halloween!

Love it! Great post Christy, really looking forward to seeing the other costumes :)

Lori said...

She'll be the cutest pirate around town. Maybe that will score her the good candy.

Carla Melgoza said...

Super cute! You have the most creative ideas! I work in Plano, and have a little girl that will look ravising as a pirate! :) haha Thanks for all the great ideas, so glad I stumbled upon your blog.

Carla Melgoza said...

Such a good idea! I work in plano, and somehow stumbled across your blog. It's got the best and most creative ideas... definitely bringing out the crafter in me. My little girl will look super cute as a pirate, or maybe I'll wait a bit and see what other great ideas you'll post. :)

tiff said...

Lady - you're amazing! Thank you for the great tutorial! I can't wait to go make some!!!

♥tiff
fashionintheforest.blogspot.com

Ella said...

love it! i need a girl. :)

Ella said...

love it! i need a girl. :)

Gottfredsen said...

Great Blog you have here. I love the Tutu. I am making some to for Halloween, unfortunetly I have no girls. I do have very good spirited boys that take dance class though. They agreed to wear them as long as they do not have to wear them to the classes with the other boys. Of course I have to make something different for trick or treating, King Arthur and Merlin. Ahh I love torture of young children too. ;0)

Peggy said...

Love it!! I would totally let me daughter wear that!

Anonymous said...

Great job-looks awesome-come link up

Terelauritsen.blogspot.com

Tammy@My Party FIle said...

This is adorable. My little girl would wear this no questions asked!

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

Simply adorable!!! Thanks for sharing your “creative mojo” with me on Thrilling Thursday. I hope you will be back again soon :)
~Lori S.
Thrilling Thursdays @Paisley Passions

Jen @ EmbellishingLifeEveryday said...

What a cute little pirate girl she'll be!
Visiting from Be Different...Act Normal.
http://embellishinglifeeveryday.blogspot.com/

Victoria ObSEUSSed said...

Arghh! What a cute little skallywag! Too bad my daughter has asked to be Tinkerbell 3 years in a row. I just did a post this past week for "Talk Like a Pirate Day" on a children's pirate book if you have time to take a peek. - Victoria, http://www.obseussed.com/2010/09/ahoy-pirate-book-sing-along-video.html

Kim said...

I think we need to be friends! I love this costume!!

AllieMakes! said...

SO Cute! I love this!
You should come link this up to my Making It With Allie link party!
Allie
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

I am going to feature this on Thrilling Thursday 9/30. Feel free to pop by and grab an "I Thrilled" featured button from my sidebar, if you like! Thanks again for linking up. Hope to see you again this week :)

Holly Lefevre said...

That is cute! That skull is perfect - not too scary! Great costume!

Lucydesignsart.com said...

Oh man, if I had a little girl, she would totally be wearing this! so cute!!

神待ち said...

神待ち少女を助けられるのは貴方しかいません。是非近所でウロウロしている少女を助けてあげてください。