Dinosaur Valley

Thursday, September 30, 2010
This past weekend I headed into the Texas Hill Country.  I passed a state park we used to frequent when I was younger, Dinosaur Valley State Park in Glen Rose, Texas.  It is about 2 hours outside of Dallas, and down some really pretty two lane highways.  That's my favorite kind of drive.  It was a cloudy day, but I snapped a few pictures anyway.  The camping area wasn't as big as I remembered, but I do remember playing around in the dinosaur footprints when I was younger, and imagining them walking down this valley. 
There are four sites with footprints present (Actually, just three, the 4th has eroded since I was little, so I guess it goes without saying, this is a rare treat, getting rarer each year). 
 It's not as easy to traverse down to the river as I remember, despite the stairs, it's a little steep.  The mud didn't help. 
You can see some of the prints from above. 
I did get close to this set of prints. 
The largest prints were completely cover with the excess of rain we've been having over the last month, but there are several different dinosaur prints present, and there's nothing like standing in those footprints in the summer months.  You can also swim down the slowly moving river.  There is a place called 'Dinosaur World' outside the State Park Gates that was pretty crowded, and there is a Nuclear Power Plant you can tour.  I did this, but I don't remember it well, but I'm pretty sure this is where I gained my super powers.  I can't tell you want they are b/c I have to maintain my day to day identity, and if you knew....well, I'd never have time to save the world with all the autographs I'd be forced to sign.  (Christy's superpower-overexageration, dramatization, and an occasional dip in the world of procrastination.)  Glen Rose also has a small antiquing area, but I went through the town too late, which means I just have to add it to the list of places to stop next time around.  Life is so rough!  This afternoon....I'll post a Dinosaur World inspired treat.  Get your popcorn ready for that show...or not. 

No comments