New Year: Party Hat Trail Mix

Thursday, December 30, 2010
I saw a tutorial using bugles to make Santa Hats over Christmas, and I thought this would be easily adapted to a New Year's Eve party hat. 
To make the hats, the tutorial suggest getting one of the candy coated Bugles, like caramel, it makes the bugles sturdier for dipping, and tastier for eating.  This is what I grabbed to make the party hats. 
Bugles, marshmallows, chocolate chips, and sprinkles.  You could certainly use various chocolate chips, or sprinkles to make an array of hats, but I had a time table I was working under. 
I dipped the bugles in the melted chocolate (I melt it in the microwave for 30 seconds, stir, microwave for 30 seconds stir....repeat one more time if necessary....it depends on how hot your microwave runs).  I pushed a marshmallow on top, and let it harden on wax paper. 
When it tried, I reheated the chocolate, and dipped the bottom in chocolate again, and then dipped it in my sprinkles. 
I let it dry (again), and then I used the rest of my chocolate and poured it over pretzels, and chex. 
I'd probably go with white chocolate next time, but I was pretending to be frugal.  I tossed in the rest of my sprinkles, and coconut to look like confetti. 
Normally, I would have added M&M's and peanuts, but I was giving this to one of my friends with a little kiddo, and I didn't want there to be any surprising choking hazards (she's Jewish, so Christmas was out, Hanukkah is over, but she's in town, so I'm going with "New Year's"
I had some left over I might throw out on New Year's with those M&M's and nuts and serve them in these lonely champagne glasses. 
Linking To:  Somewhat Simple Hoo's Got Talent Fun to Craft Crafty Soiree Sassy Sites

7 comments

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

super cute!!

Unknown said...

what sweet treats, love the hat

Erin said...

This is stinnkin' adorable! WHat a perfect twist to a great snack. (You're so dang clever!!!)

Bobbi & Noe said...

Oh my goodness! I pinky swear we had the same idea. I bought the Buggles today. haha Great minds....! {wink!}

Pamela said...

Yum...such a fun recipe. Love it in the wine glasses.

Jae said...

Looks yummy. Wish I was at your party for New Year's!

Sassy Sites! said...

Thanks for linking up with Sassy Sites-Free For ALL Friday! I just posted my new party for the month of January... Operation Organization. Come by and check it out! Happy New Year! xoxo