Silk Flower Pins

Saturday, January 22, 2011
I recently uncovered a little pyromaniac hidden down deep in my soul.  I needed another idocincricy, so yay!  I've seen these silk flowers with curled edges everywhere, and I finally looked up the process for making one myself for a wreath I'll post about tomorrow.  It was so easy to do...I went slightly overboard. 
The tutorials call for polyester, but there was a lady at the fabric store who told me A)  They had no polyester on hand and B)  Burning polyester makes it toxic.  I don't know if that's true, but A) pretty much took care of the fabric change I made if it is true.   I grabbed some of this nylon fabric along with some beads, needle and thread, a glue gun, pins, scissors, felt scraps, and a candle. 
Supervision is suggested, you are, after all, about to work with flames, and hot glue. 
I cut three different size circles, they don't have to be perfect b/c you are going to burn them, and if you don't like the shape, you can keep snipping. 
As for burning the edges, you don't actually have to run it through the flame, just very close, it curls up quickly near the heat of the flame. 
I stacked up my circles, and grabbed a few beads. 

If you don't like to sew, you can also grab brads, and they punch right through the delicate fabric. 
I've seen these on hair bows, and headbands, I decided to make pins.  I cut a circle of felt. 

I glued the felt to the inside of the pin. 
Added more glue to the whole circle, and popped it on the flower.  Because the flower is layered, the glue didn't show through. 
Now I just need to go find 8 or 76 more friends who want a flower pin. 
Linking To:  A Vision to Remember

10 comments

Anonymous said...

That is so cool!!! Yours turned out adorable!!! I've never seen this!!! Thanks for sharing, I'm going to have to give it a try, I'm seeing all kinds of embellishment ideas in my head for these!!! Oh...and LOVE your supervising furbabies!!!! They're adorable!!!!

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Very pretty, Christy! I can't wait to see your wreath.

Charles and Heidi said...

Love love love them!

Deb said...

how cool....and they are all the rage now...

Jo said...

While you are at it, will you make me this? http://sewmuchado.blogspot.com/2010/01/tutorial-fabric-flower-valentine-wreath.html

Perhaps if you have even more time, you can make all those flowers into a pretty dress.

Lisalulu said...

they are beautiful!! addictive though...I can't wait to see more.

Jenny {Heavenly Blossoms} said...

wow..this is great!! i have to do this! and i have plenty of felt lol

Christy said...

Wow, I love these! I am a longtime blog lurker (I think I've commented once or twice) but I can't pass up this craft idea for my mission trip craft website. I use the term "website" loosely since in the past two years I have 1) created a site and 2) posted one craft.
the idea is that the craft item can be executed with women in a missions environment (i.e. no electricity) and I think this totally works (sewing the pin on instead of hot glue). Can I post your idea (or at least reference it) at my site? This will be my second post and maybe an excuse to get that site chugging again! (http://missiontripcrafts.wordpress.com)
my casual blog is shamrock80.blogspot.com if you would like to let me know if I can reference your idea! thanks!

Alices Wonderland said...

I'm a new follower, and I'm pretty exicted at the posts I've read so far. I'm not exactly the 'domesticated' type so quick and easy always make me happy...a craft involving fire is like a bonus to boot.

Unknown said...

A flower is that the a part of the plant that creates the seeds. A flower, generally referred to as a bloom or blossom the most elements of a flower area unit the carpels and stamens. All the best thank you for this post.
Silk Flowers