Angel Biscuits

Sunday, February 13, 2011

I've got biscuits on the brain....it could be worse.
I have no idea why these are called 'angel' biscuits....b/c they are heavenly? I found the recipe in a school's cookbook I borrowed from a friend. She got the book more than 10 years ago as a wedding gift. (Hi Heather, I got this recipe from your book, and I'm glad I did). These are mighty tasty biscuits. I made them for a friend who was recovering from surgery, and I grabbed some honey and jam at World Market to throw in a little care package. I had to try one to make sure it was a worthy gift. It was. Another friend threw some stuff in the care package, but this is my contribution. Bread works for every occasion in my book.

Here's the recipe for a really tasty biscuits. Trust me, I'm sort of a professional in the world of bread.
Ingredients
1 pkg yeast, 1 T lukewarm water, 2 c. self rising flour (if using regular flour, add 2 t baking powder, and 1 t. salt), 1/4 t. baking soda, 1 T sugar, 1/2 c. shortening, 3/4 c. buttermilk (I made buttermilk by pouring 3 1/2 t. white vinegar into a cup measurement, and filling the rest with regular milk, and then letting it sit for about ten minutes, then I just added 3/4 of the newly formed 'buttermilk.').
Instructions
Add warm water to yeast and set aside. Sift all dry ingredients, cut in shortening. Add yeast and buttermilk to dry ingredients. Knead several times. Cut on a flour surface, and bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes or until golden brown.

4 comments

RedGingerbread said...

What a very thoughtful gift! I would love a gift like this~if I were trying to recoop! thanks for sharing the recipe & loved the way you bagged them.
Pam

Anonymous said...

That is a wonderful gift, love the pretty little packaging too! I'll have to try your recipe because those look delicious!!!

Elle Belles Bows said...

They look so good!! Thanks for sharing the recipe! Kerri

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

These look delicious. I love bread, too. Favorite food hands down.