First up....gotta make those carmalize onions.
Carmalized Onion Recipe: Melt 1 t. of butter, 1 t. of olive oil, and an onion (sliced then) in a pan. Cook on med/high for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with salt. Add a dash of sugar. Cook for 30 minutes, stir occasionally, but not too much or it won't brown. Store in an airtight container for several days. One onion is enough for one recipe of the rolls.
Onion Roll Recipe
3 T. warm milk, 2 t. active dry yeast, 2 1/2 t. sugar, 2 eggs, 3 c. bread flour, 1/2 c. all purpose flour, 1 1/2 t. salt, 2 /2 t. butter (softened), carmalized onions
1. Combine 1 c. warm water, milk, yeast, and sugar. Let sit for 5 minutes until yeast is foaming.
2. Whisk flour, salt. Add softened butter and blend together with hands until crumbly. Add yeast mix with plastic spatula. Add one egg. Stir until dough forms, it will be very sticky.
3. Place on a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes. Don't add too much flour or the dough will get tough.
4. Shape into a ball. Return to the bow, cover with plastic wrap and let it rise until doubled (about an hour).
7. Place a shallow bowl of water on the bottom rack of the oven. Heat over to 400 degrees. Place rolls on the top rack. Cook for 15 minutes total, turn the tray halfwaythrough the baking process. It's worth it. I promise!