Valentine's Day: Homemade Snickers

Friday, February 04, 2011
I saw this recipe for homemade Snicker's bars at MrsBettieRocker a few months back, and it's pretty much becomming a recurring dream of mine..or nightmare, depending on if I'm pretending to diet or not.  I decided Valentine's Day, and a third day of house arrest, sometimes reffered to as 'a snow day' was a good enough excuse.  Chocolate+Female Friends=Positive Outcome.  After making these, I quickly wrapped these puppies up to give away as Valentine's treats so I wouldn't eat them all.  Fine, I only packaged half of them, but still, it's better than eating the whole pan.  On the positive, I'd like to mention this is packed with protein and might even be considered a smart snack choice to carry around....in case you have low insulin or even a cute dentist you'd like to visit when the caramel pulls your fillings out...or something.  Otherwise, your diet is pretty much screwed, but it'll be worth it, it's a homemade snickers bar,do I really need to convince anyone these are yummy? 
Here's the recipe for homemade snickers I used via the above blog!
Homemade Snickers Recipe
Ingredients:
1 bag of milk chocolate chips, 1 bag of butterscotch chips (these definitely give it a butterscotch flavor, so if you don't like that taste, substitute for more chocolate), 14 oz bag of caramels, 1 c. sugar, 7 oz jar of marshamallow fluff (I made my own by melting 4 1/2 c. of mini marshmallows with 2 t. of light karo syrup on the stove, like the beginnings of rice crispie treats), 1/4 c. butter, 1/4 c. evaporated milk, 1 c. peanut butter (divided), 1/4 c. heavy whipping cream, 1 t. vanilla, 1 1/2 c. salted peanuts (Bettie eliminated these, I...did not!)
Instructions:  There are four layers, the bottom, and top layer follow the same process. 
Layer 1/Chocolate:  Melt 1 c. chocolate chips, 1/4 c. butterscotch chips, and 1/4 c. peanut butter in the microwave in 30 second intervals.  Stir between heatings until smooth.  Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.  Put in fridge of freezer to harden.
Layer 2/Filling:  Melt 1/4 c. butter in a sauce pan on medium heat, add 1 c. sugar and 1/4 c. evaporated milk.  Bring to a boil, and stir constantly for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat, and stir in 1 1/2  marshmallow cream, 1/4 c. peanut butter, 1 t. vanilla, and 1 1/2 c. (chopped) peanuts.  Mix until smooth, spread over first layer.  Don't mess around too much b/c this will start melted the bottom layer of chocolate, so I just tried to pour and spread quickly when I pulled the chocolate from the freezer where I had set it to harden. 
Layer 3/Caramel:  Melt 14 oz of caramels with 1/4 c. whipping cream at 30 second intervals in the microwave.  Stir between heating.  Heat until smooth.  Pour over second filling layer. 
Layer 4/Chocolate:  Repeat layer one instructions. 
Cut, and keep in fridge. 


Linking To: 
Fun to Craft Sassy Sites Just a Girl Sugar Bananas Tidy Mom 504 Main Remodelaholics Paisley Passions Tatortots and Jello Unfolded It's a Hodge Podge Life Sew Crafty Be Different...Act Normal Sweet As Sugar Under the Table

24 comments

Jo said...

Are you INSANE??!!!! Why in the world would you curse us all snicker addicts who are so proud when we walk past them in the checkout line? Now you are saying I can whip some up in my kitchen? That's all I need: for Ruben to come home and find me sitting in a bubble bath with an entire pan of snicker like crumbs and my face covered in smears of chocolate.

Unknown said...

These things are so dangerous. Oh man. Its like crack!

Jami said...

Curses!!! Yes, i said it...curses! I just came by your blog earlier today to see what clever idea you had for valentine's day...left without gaining a pound...now this?!?! Where's the love?!?! (or are you thinking there will be MORE of me to love??)
weak smiles!
Jami

Paxton said...

oh these look so good! i'm making a shopping list and heading out in the morning!

Anonymous said...

LOL!!!! HOW MANY did you actually wrap?? Fess up!! LOL!!! Omgoodness you are the bomb!! This is like heaven in a pan!!! and perfect for our cabin fever! My girls will go crazy over these!! You are most awesome for sharing the recipe!!! (and I am also cracking up at "Jo's" bubblebath comment above. LOL!!! Enjoy another snow day...can't wait to see what you mix up!!

Rustown Mom said...

OMG, this looks incredible, but with all due respect....no thank you. IO need a pan of these like I need another teenage daughter....yes, it's that serious...still, your photos are lovely...I guess I could gaze upon them a while...

Erin said...

OH. MY. HOLY. HECK!!!!!!! These look absolutely freakin' awesome!!!! I would eat the ENTIRE pan!!!!

And love the new look. (Am I late with that compliment???) And the button! =o)

Chrissy said...

Oh WOW, these look totally awesome. I will have to make these when no one, ok when everyone, is home. These look very dangerous to a sugar overload for me, but hey they do have protein right ;) Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe, may make for the Super Bowl. I am now a follower.

The Farm Girl said...

What can you say!! This is totally on my list--I can't wait to make them. Maybe I should my hips are growing just looking at them. I am a new follower and would love for you to follow me back at The Farm Girl Recips
Thanks!

Sarah @ Sugar Bananas said...

Hey Christy, Oh. my. heavens! I was reading the ingredients and thought "oh, yum!". Then, I got to the heavy cream and thought, "OH, YES!"

I'm so craving a snickers bar now. Thanks for posting this recipe (and the pictures that make me hungry!)

Sarah

Sarah @ Sugar Bananas said...

Thanks for linking up with Sweets This Week!

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

Holy crow, my mouth is watering. I'm thinking those look really good but feeling cranky cause I've got everything but the caramels.

Unknown said...

That looks incredibly tasty. Might have to try this one after the dieting.
Blessings
Diane

Unknown said...

these are right up my alley...although we don't have snow days here in so. cal...i think i can muster up an excuse to make these! stopping by from 504 main

Mariesa M. said...

Mmm, those look delish! I'm going to have to make those - and eat the whole pan myself. :-) Thanks for sharing!
-Mariesa
http://tencowchick.com

Christy said...

@Jo, I can't be held responsible for the choices I've been making. I've been trapped in my house for four days with two inches of ice, and six inches of snow on top of that. I'm enjoying myself, but I'm not exactly sane anymore. How did you do this for a year?

Alison Agnew said...

Oh. My. Goodness. These look and sound amazing. I don't know whether to thank you or curse you....perhaps I'll just follow you to see what other evils you can concoct.

Thanks for the recipe (I think) and for linking it to Fridays Unfolded.

Blessings,

Alison

~The Bargain Babe from *Zucchini Summer Blog* said...

oh man those look good!!

adrienzgirl said...

Those LOOK AHHHHHH-MAZING! Yummmmm!

Jennifer said...

Stopping by from Be Different, Act Normal. These I'm going to have to try! They look fantastic!
Jen
Scissors & Spatulas

Remodelaholic said...

This might be illegal in my state! Holy-moly it looks good! I am such a snickers lover, yikes! Thanks for linking up!

Unknown said...

Oh, my. I so need to be your next best friend. On second thought, no.....I can't afford the calories. It would have been such a nice friendship, too.

The Teacher's Wife said...

Whoa... those look sooooo divine!

An Oasis in the Desert said...

OMG! I should seriously be not liking you and I don't even know you yet. Snickers are my all-time fav, and here we have this incredibly delicious-sounding homemade version, it's just too much! So, am I a new follower? You had better believe it!
CAS