Parmesan Onion Bread

Wednesday, April 06, 2011
I was fascinated by the combination of ingredients in this bread when I came across the recipe in a book called Light and Luscious.  It makes a great addition to an Italian meal.  This also reminds me a lot of Onion Rolls, which I can no longer find at the store.  I'm planning on baking these up in roll form next time, and turning them into hamburger buns.  I think the onion and burger flavor will be really good. 
Here is the recipe I used.  This recipe makes two loaves.  I halved it because this was feeding a party of one. 
Parmesan Onion Bread Recipe
Ingredients: 
3/4 c. chicken broth (undiluted), 1 T. veg oil, 2 c. finely chopped onions, 1 t. basil (dry), 1 t. oregano (dry), 6 c. bread flour (divided), 2 packages of yeast, 2 c. skim milk (heated to 120), 1 c. grated Parmesan cheese, 1 t. sugar, 1 egg white. 
Instructions: 
In a skillet:  Add broth, oil, onions, basil, and oregano.  Heat, and stir until onions are tender. 
In a bowl:  Mix 2 c. flour, yeast, and milk.  Mix on medium for 2 minutes. 
Add:  onion mix, cheese, and sugar to flour mix.  Stir.  Add enough of the 4 c. of flour to form a soft ball (may not require all the flour). 
Knead:  Until elastic. 
Place ball in a greased bowl, turn once to coat both sides.  Cover with syran wrap and let rise for 30 minutes (until doubled in size). 
Punch down, and then divide in half.  Separate each half into three pieces, put into rope, and braid, tuck under edges.  Place on a greased pan.  Let rise another 30 minutes (until doubled in size).   Brush with egg wash. 
Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.  (Cover with a foil tent the last 10 minutes so it does not brown too much).  The bread should sound hollow when tapped if it's finished. 

2 comments

Deb said...

If I still ate bread I would love this recipe...sounds so good...

Unknown said...

Love this bread and have made it several times, but it needs salt. I add 2 teaspoons. Delicious!