Mother's Day: White Chocolate Cranberry Scones

Friday, May 06, 2011

If I ever apply for citizenship to England, I'm bringing these along for my application process. 
My Mom doesn't drink tea, but if she did, I'd make her these scones for breakfast to go alongside of her little tea cup.  Instead, I'll probably just toss her a Dr. Pepper, her morning 'coffee' of choice.  I'm not a huge 'scone' person. They are usually a little too dry. I understand, they are supposed to go with beverages, but....when you're a gal who likes to eat 2 or 5 of the items in a bread basket, your drinks just can't keep up, but there is one exception to this rule of mine....a local tea room, Chocolate Angel's White Chocolate and Cranberry Scones. Sign me up for the fan club. I decided to see if I could find a recipe that did this favorite justice, and in my opinion-this recipe hit the mark. My biggest critic loved them, soooooo....that's something. I made these awhile back for a potluck breakfast at work. Even if you don't like scones, you should try this one, just to tell me if I'm wrong if I'm wrong.
Ingredients
1 3/4 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 t. salt
2 1/2 t. baking powder
5 T of cold butter, cut into small pieces
3 T of milk
3 T of heavy whipping cream
1 egg, beaten
1/2 c. white chocolate pieces
1/2 c. dried craisins
White Sparkling Sugar (I use Wiltons, it's just a large sugar crystal)
Spray butter
Directions
1. Add first five ingredients together and use a pastry cutter to loosely combine
2. Add remaining ingredients, stir until combined, then place on a clean counter and knead for about a minute until everything is well combined.
3. Divide your dough in half, and create flat disk (about 8-10 inches).

4. Cut each round (like a pizza) into 8 pieces.
5. Place scones on a baking stone, or silplat covered cooking sheet (if you don't have a silplat, grease your baking sheet-the bottoms tend to brown b/c of the melting butter inside if it's placed directly on metal).

6. Spray the tops of each scone with butter (or brush with butter) and sprinkle sugar crystals on top of each scone. This gives it a really sweet flavor I love.
7. Bake at 400 degrees for 12-14 minutes.

1 comment

Deb said...

they look yummy...