Lady Bug Pretzel Bites....and Some Fun News

Saturday, July 30, 2011
 I have some fun news...more on that in a minute, first....about the bugs.  I've seen this post a bazillion and 4 times over the last few months on various sites, but I don't know where the original post came from?  Does it count if I just say it's not 'me?'  I put it on the back burner of crafts I want to try someday, but it got bumped up to my list today because I have a pop up project I need to get done for something fun....
I will say these bugs have a bigger purpose I'll be posting about in a few weeks, and hopefully their home will be a cute one.  These bugs are so easy to make.  Pretzels, red, and milk chocolate...(and white chocolate if you want to add eyes, which is not necessary). 
 Melt the chocolate (I just place this in the microwave for 30 second intervals between stirring, and it is usually melted within a minute.  The white (or red) chocolate takes less time-45 seconds or so). 
 Dip the bottom of the pretzel into the milk chocolate.  Tap off the excess.
 Let these dry on wax paper.  I usually toss them in the fridge to speed up the process. 
 Melt the red chocolate, and dip the double looped half, the 'wings' if you will....and if you won't.....why?  Ignore me, it's almost 3 am.  I'm delirious...and I've been around glue all day.  Granted, it's only Elmer's, but still...I'm coated in the stuf. 
 Repeat the drying process. 
 I then shoveled my left over milk chocolate into a ziplock bag, and I reheated this for a few seconds (just long enough to get hot).  I made a TINY slit in one corner, and piped on my dots.  (You could also add dark sprinkles while the red chocolate is still soft if you don't want to play with piping dots.)  I repeated the process with white chocolate to make two eyes. 
*One thing I've learned (and maybe I'm the last one on earth), but I put any left over chocolate in a ziplock bag, or a blob on wax paper.  Once it dries, I dump it back into the bag to reheat for another project. 
OK....and before I get to my news....when I got home today.....my chihuahua, Peanut, had found a pack of matches I had next to a candle and chewed them up.  They were all over the carpet, and near his favorite spot to bury things....couch cushions.  He's still alive to tell the story, but I am disturbed that my dog is playing with matches now, he's only two after all....lesson learned. 
....and last.  I got a call from a producer of Good Morning, Texas who found a post about pinatas I popped up on the blog last May for my Week of Cinco de Mayo projects.  I'm heading in Tuesday morning to do a segment on 'how to make a pinata' live, sometime between 9-10 am (pending interruptions by national news stations, I'm sure).  I'm trying not to think about everything that goes with that, but I'm really excited to have this opportunity.  I've been paper maching for two day's straight now to get all my pieces together.  The ladybugs (I know...this is a stretch) are my back up if I need to fill any time, it'll make sense when I post the rest of this project....if all goes well, I'll post about the experience, and maybe even link up to a clip.  If things fall apart, I'll be deleting this portion of the post and pretending like I never said this....ever.  ;o) 

Linking To:  Sundae Scoop Under the Table and Dreaming Saturday Shindig Sunday Showcase Nifty Thrifty Lines Across My Face Savvy Homemade Messy Help a Mama Out Blue Cricket Creative Spark Trendy Treehouse Night Owl 7-33 Free Things For You Tea Rose House

23 comments

Erin said...

Christy - your pretzels are adorable! And OH MY GOSH!!! That's so cool. Good luck and congrats!!!

Corbin said...

That is so exciting. Wish we lived closer so we could see it but I'm sure I can find it on their page once it airs. Good luck!

Melody said...

I am a new follower. I love all of your crafts. Love the ladybugs too. I looked at an old post of yours about the family signing the tablecloth each year made from a sheet. My grandmother did the same at least 40 years ago. What a great memory. I think I will have to make one too!

Unknown said...

I found your blog through the Sunday Showcase. I love those cute little pretzels! Thats awesome! And congrats on the good news. Good luck!!

Unknown said...

First of all - those are the coolest chocolate-covered pretzels I've EVER seen! Second - OMG! CONGRATS! I never watch morning shows, but I'll be watching this week!

DeeDee said...

CONGRATS! Wonderful news! Love your little lady bug pretzels! Ca-ute! :)

Anonymous said...

So cute!

Unknown said...

What a great treat for guests at a party. I love these- too cute.

I would love for you to link up and share these on my mommy solution meme.

http://www.crystalandcomp.com/2011/07/the-mommy-club-share-your-resources-and-solutions-2/

Mandi said...

How exciting for you that you're going Good Morning Texas!!! Love your pretzels, they are adorable. And your dog playing with matches is hilarious. New follower. :)

Jenn said...

Cute idea!! I love chocolate covered pretzels. You should come and enter my cookbook giveaway (if you like cookbooks) http://eatcakefordinner.blogspot.com/2011/07/30-minute-rolls-and-giveaway.html

Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com said...

These are super cute! I love chocolate covered pretzles and theses add a touch of fun! I would love for you to share your pretzels at my Savvy HomeMade blog party at

http://www.homesavvyatoz.com/2011/07/28/savvy-homemade-monday-party-1/

momofbugs said...

Love these pretzels! Can't wait to have a chance to make these. Visiting from the Sunday Showcase.

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

The ladybugs are adorable. Love 'em! Congrats on the fantastic opportunity!!! You definitely deserve it. Can't wait to hear how it goes :)

Unknown said...

I love these! I have ladybug everything for my daughter. I would love it if you would stop by and link up this post with the crafty link party I recently started at Lines Across My face.
:) Rachel
http://linesacrossmyface.blogspot.com/2011/07/craft-link-party-2-cure-for-common.html

Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com said...

Thanks again for linking up at Home Savvy A to Z, Christy!

Kristine@thefoleyfam said...

So cute!! So creative and combines two of my loves!! Pretzels and chocolate ;)))

We host a linky party “Help a Momma Out” every Tuesday. This would be a perfect link up! Please feel free to add it :) We appreciate it! Thanks for sharing!

Kristine
www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife said...

Congrats on being on TV! I'd love for you to link this to my first ever linky party. http://trophyw.blogspot.com/2011/08/linky-party-1.html -Tara

Unknown said...

These are adorable, I just love lady bug ANYTHING! Would love for you to link up to my party HERE if you have time! Have a great Wed!

Megan said...

just darling, what a great idea!!!

Karen said...

Think I'll make these for my tea party in a couple of weeks. Hope your pinata making goes well. blessings, k

Unknown said...

Thanks for linking up on Monday! I am featuring these (on a ladybug post actually) so feel free to grab a featured button. I hope to see you again next Monday.
:)Rachel
http://linesacrossmyface.blogspot.com/2011/08/adorable-ladybug-crafts.html

Aimee said...

Those look soooo yummy- Thank you for linking this post up to The Sunday Showcase!

Jenn said...

Oh, these are SO cute! I can't believe you are going to be on TV - how cool is that??? Thanks so much for linking up to The Creative Spark. I would love to have you back next week! Good luck with the show!
Jenn :)