Revival on the River

Sunday, July 31, 2011
*photo from AmazonOutreach
30 malaria pills.  Check. 
Brazilian Visa.  Check. 
Bug Spray.  Check.  Check! CHECK!!!
On Thursday, I'm hopping on a plane, sliding through Miami for a 12 hour stay, and then flying on down to Brazil.  I'm going with a group of people to the Amazon River to meet, learn, give, and receive what I know will be an education of a lifetime.  Our purpose is to finish up a few churches begun by other teams that headed this way before us, build wells, and bring some basic supplies (flipflops, hats, clothes, sunglasses, and gifts) to the folks living along the river as we participate in daily activities to get to know our neighbors to the south.  This is all being done through www.amazonoutreach.org.  I won't be the first to go this way, and if it's God's will, I won't be the last either.  I'm going with a group from my church, and other churches across Texas.  Our 'home' is the above boat.  We sleep on hammocks.  With bugs.  Today's guest pastor said something that 'stuck' with me. "I don't know what tomorrow will bring, but I know who's in charge of my tomorrows." 
I have so much to say already about this trip, and everything I've already learned.  I've been overwhelmed with support and encouragement, but I know my learning isn't done.  I look forward to blogging the whole story from start to finish when I return in two weeks from my personal perspective.  I have set my blog to post two "week's of...' projects full of ideas I've gathered over the last few months. 
In the meantime, please be praying for me, and the other's I'm traveling with, and most importantly, for the people we will have the opportunity to meet. 
If all goes well, and we can get the satellite working, there is a great possibility I'll be able to help share our story live via the boats blog.   We will be on the river as of August 5th, and then we head 30 miles up the river to visit 4 villages.  Here is the link to the boats blog where I will hopefully be posting our stories.  http://www.ao-lindaesperanca.blogspot.com/

2 comments

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Sounds like a fabulous, life-changing experience, Christy. I can't wait to hear about it. Good luck, and enjoy every moment :)

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

You won't come back the same person you were when you left. Leave a large portion of your heart there and you will have succeeded. God go with you!