Lady Bug Cake Balls

Monday, January 30, 2012
I love cake balls.  They are really simple to put together (though the 'decorating' part can be complex), and I think they are some of the tastiest forms of cake on planet earth....and I know my way about a good cake, trust me.  I made some ladybug shaped cake balls for a lady bug themed party this past weekend...more pictures to come on a few other desserts, but....I thought I'd post these little gals along with the simple cake ball makin' steps....there are several different methods, but this is my favorite! 
Step One:  Bake up your favorite cake in a 9x13 pan following whatever directions your recipe calls for.  I baked up red velvet.  You can make homemade icing, or....just a can.  I grabbed some cream cheese frosting a la Betty Crocker this go round. 
 As soon as the cake comes out, while it' shot, grab a fork and start shredding. 
 I  mean, dig that puppy apart....
 Until you have a pile of crumbs.....unfortunately I've had a few cakes do this when I tried to remove them from the pans....if I had only known there was a way to salvage them. 
 While it's still hot dump in the icing and just stir it until it's a big gooey pile of...
 ...icing infused....
 ...cake....
 You can let it cool a bit at this point, or if you have pot holders for hands, now is the point to start rolling.  I roll the balls about an inch in diameter.
I layer them up between wax paper, and then throw them in the freezer for an hour or a month.....whatever my needs need. 
Once I'm ready to decorate, take white chocolate and melt it down at 30 second intervals between stirring.  It takes mine about 1 and 1/2 minutes. 
 While the balls are still frozen I sometimes roll them around a bit more to try to make the balls a little more perfect.  Drop them in melted chocolate. 
 I scoop them out with a fork so I can tap, tap, tap off the excess chocolate. 
I usually use a butter knife to scrap them from the fork to the wax paper to dry...which happens quickly when they are frozen. 
 Decorate and dry. 
 Bag 'em up and bring 'em to a party. 

4 comments

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Too cute, Christy!

Veronica and Daniel said...

These are ALMOST to cute to eat! What a great idea...I am thinking lots of different types of bugs for a little boy birthday party :)

Tiffany@Fizzy Party! said...

Little cuties :)

Deb said...

you sure got my attention with those...awesome...