Pimento Cheese Crackers

Tuesday, October 16, 2012
I've been pursuing pimento cheese in every form for the last few years.  I'm not really sure what that says about me.  I'm pretty sure I don't care, but when I saw this recipe for pimento cheese crackers at therunawayspoon, I was pretty sure I'd met my next project.
I especially like this recipe b/c it's one of those 'do ahead' and bake the day of as desired....anything you can do in advance of mealtime is my kind of project because when I'm working the last thing I want to do is come home straight from work and get to cooking.  I also love crackers.  And pimento.  This one is definitely a keeper in my pimento collection. They remind me of traditional cheese crackers....with a kick.   The recipe makes 3 dozen crackers, which is just enough.  For me. 
Pimento Cheese Cracker Recipe
Ingredients: 4 oz jar diced pimentos, 8 oz grated sharp cheddar, ½ c. cold butter, 1 ½ c. flour, 1 t. Worcestershire Sauce, ½ t. garlic powder, 1 t. paprika, dash of cayenne pepper, pinch of salt, pinch of pepper, 1/2 c. chopped pecans
Instructions:
1.  Rinse and drain pimentos, dry on paper towel and then leave them for 10  min. to dry.
2.  Mix cheese and cold butter in a food processor, add the flour, Worcestershire Sauce, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
3.  Mix until dough begins to come together.
4.  Add pecans and mix in processor until the dough pulls away from sides and forms a ball.
5.  Add dried pimentos and pulse until it forms a ball of dough.
6. Place dough on waxed paper.  Knead the dough a few times to spread pimento pieces into dough. 7.  Cut two more pieces of waxed paper, divide dough into two and place each ball on waxed paper.  Form into a log and roll tightly, press together tightly, and twist the ends.   Refrigerate for at least an hour  (up to two days, or freeze for up to three months). 
8.  Slice into 1/4 inch thick slices, and bake at 350 on cooking stone or parchment paper.  Bake 10 – 12 minutes until edges are browning.  . 

1 comment

Joji said...

You had me at pimento cheese. It was my favorite growing up and still is. Thanks for the recipe I can not wait to try them.