The Best Green Bean Casserole EVER!

Tuesday, May 07, 2013
When I made this, I was thinking I'd wait to post about it closer to Thanksgiving-'the' time for Green Bean Casserole, but this was seriously one of the most delicious recipes I've ever tried out-I had to post it ASAP. Seriously, here is my secret-I don't even like greenbean casserole.  I had one plate of fresh green beans in Italy once-it was the first and last time I ever ate a green bean I liked.  I've tried.  I've tried many.  So, I had family in town and was preparing a big meal, and I decided to make one dish I knew wouldn't tempt me to overeat (ha).  I looked up a recipe for greenbean casseroles to replace the ol' classic with the can of soup.  Oops, I found one I absolutely love.  I had seconds and would have had thirds if I wasn't trying to save some to have for lunch....and maybe a midnight snack-the details are foggy right now.  In fact, everyone who tried it went back for more.  I promise you won't regret this-try it.  As the recipe promised (from all recipes)-you'll never go back to the soup version.
Green Bean Casserole
Ingredients:  2 T butter, 2 T flour, 1 t. salt, 1 t. white sugar, 1/4 c. onion (diced), 1 c. sour cream, 3 cans French style green beans (drained), 2 c. cheddar cheese, 1/2 c. crumbled ritz crackers (buttery rounds was what they called for-this is what I figured it meant), 1 T. butter melted.
Instructions:
1.  Heat oven to 350.
2.  Melt 2 T butter in skillet on med heat.  Stir in flour until smooth and cook for one minute.  Stir in salt, sugar, onion, and sour cream.  Add green beans and stir to coat.
3.  Move to 2 1/2 qt casserole dish.  Spread shredded cheese over the top.  In a separate bowl toss crackers and remaining butter and sprinkled over the cheese.
4.  Bake for 30 minutes until top is golden and cheese is bubbly.
5.  Eat.  Repeat.




No comments