I blame Regan for this recipe. It's so good. It's so not calorie friendly. But....some meals are worth it. This is worth it, but you should probably make it with a big crowd coming....or don't tell anyone you made it and then ate it, and sit around with your friends over coffee lamenting your inability to lose weight. Not that I'd EVER do a thing like that....but if I were going to, this is what I'd be eating, with gusto, behind closed doors. I even halved the recipe and I'm pretty sure it would have served an army....or at least a cub scout troop....or some body of people that eats a lot. And so if you have a large group, or a hankering for some really devine mac and cheese with yummy meat (pretty much the food pyramid in one dish)....here ya go...
Cheese and Sausage Mac and Cheese
Ingredients: 1 lb Italian sausae, 1 lb dry elbow noodles, 8 T unsalted butter, 1/2 c. flour, 1/2 t. kosher salt, 1/2 t. black pepper, 2 1/2 c. milk, 3 c. shredded mozzarella cheese, 1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese, 1 1/2t. Tabasco sauce, 2 c. shredded Gouda Cheese
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch dish with cooking spray.
2. Brown sausage until cooked and crumbled. Drain extra fat and set aside.
3. Cook pasta following pkg instructions, dran, and run under cool water. Set aside.
4. Melt butter in a large pan on medium. Whisk in flour, salt, and pepper until thick and bubbly. Slowly whisk in milk. Keep whisking until milk is thick. Reduce heat and stir in mozzarella and cheddar cheese until smooth and creamy.
5. Stir in sausage and cooked pasta. Place in baking dish and top with shredded Gouda cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is melted and hot. Serve warm.