Thursday, November 14, 2013

Gingerbread Brunch

 Last year my cousin's little kiddos came into town to celebrate Christmas.  I love taking a day and doing something special with them that will hopefully build happy Christmas memories.  This year I decided to have a gingerbread brunch.  I sent the Gingerbread Boy book, shirts, and an invite about a month before.  Their Mom told me that they read the book every night.
 I loved hearing them talk about the 'gingerbread brunch' both before and after.  Special memories, even for a moment=success.  I found some little gingerbread house plates at Oriental Trading along with some little suckers.
 Blythe loves suckers.
 I used some little jars I had (from Hobby Lobby) to serve our drinks, along with some waters that I made my own label for.  I found this free printable and taped it on with a red strip of paper.
 I also found these little gingerbread peeps, which I slid down the straws to the other drinks.  The 'squishy things' were Blythe's personal favorite.
 I made a breakfast casserole for the adults along with pancakes and all the fixings.
 For the kids, I used a cookie cutter, spray it down with cookie spray, and filled it with pancake batter.  When side one cooked, I flipped.
 A few of these guys got a little crispy...but then I got a little busy and get the idea.
 I added some gingerbread cookies to the top of applesauce.
 I also put little fruit on these gingerbread picks I got from Amazon.  This was Jonathan's favorite.
 I used a boxed gingerbread mix from Trader Joe's and baked them up in a gingerbread man shaped pan from Wilton.
 After breakfast we made little wooden gingerbread houses, cookies, and ornaments.
 I think the adults enjoyed it as much as the kids, but I sure was grateful for a group that could appreciate some of the finer things in life-apple sauce and peeps.