Kentucky Hot Brown Bake

Wednesday, April 23, 2014
 One of my favorite things to do is eat dishes that are specific to certain regions.  The thing I collect when I travel are local cook books.  Despite the fact that I've been to Kentucky (very pretty state), I somehow missed out on the hot brown until my Mom's friend Shirley mentioned this dish.  I then went and asked a lady I work with...because...uh....how did I miss this?  She brought me a cookbook with all sorts of fun recipes.  I know this isn't the traditional method, but this is where I started on my Kentucky recipe journey...and I'll be trying some of those same recipes out soon, but with the Derby coming up in a few weeks, I had to post this recipe.  I've never had a 'real' hot brown, but...if it taste anything like this, count me in!  Here the recipe I used, originally from Mr. Food's Italian Layer bake.
Kentucky Hot Brown Bake
Ingredients: 8 oz of pkg crescent roll dough, 1 lb. of smoked turkey lunch meat, 8 slices of cooked bacon, 8 slices of Swiss cheese, 3 Roma tomatoes (slice them thin), 4 eggs (beaten)
Instructions:  
1.  Unroll the dough and separate it into 2 squares.  Press the seems together.
2.  Place one square into the bottom of an 8x8 pan that is greased and press the dought to fit into the bottom of the pan.
3.  Place half the turkey, bacon, cheese, and tomatoes over the dought.
4.  Pour half the eggs over the top.
5.  Repeat the layers (minus the other half of the egg).
6.  Top with the remaining dough square.  Pour the remaining egg over the top.
7.  Cover with foil.  Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.  Remove the foil and bake a remaining 25+ minutes.
8.  Let the sandwich sit at room temp for about 15 minutes before serving.

1 comment

Erin said...

Oh yum! This sounds amazing!!!