No-Knead 3 Ingredient Bread

Tuesday, April 07, 2015
I definitely consider myself a bread expert.  I recently had a friend on facebook post this picture of a recipe she found via the NY Times, BUT it only had three ingredients.  I'm all about short cuts to short cuts.  Plus, all three of these ingredients are safe for vegans (which my brother is...it's hard to find recipes to make when he's around, and it can be made with any flour (wheat?).It reminds me of a sour dough bread, and it's good.
I've made it three times in a month, and it's not because I have lots of time, but rather-it's that good and that easy!
No-Knead 3 Ingredient Bread
Ingredients: 3 c bread flour (+more for dusting), 1/4 t instant yeast (one pkg), 1 1/4 t salt
Instructions:
1.  Combine flour, yeast, salt in a bowl.
2.  Add 1 5/8 c warm water (follow yeast instructions for temperature).  Stir until dough is shaggy and sticky.
3.  Let the dough rise for 12-18 hours (the longer the better) in a 70 degree room.  (I put mine in the fridge for 24 hours and set it out a few hours before using it).   It is ready when the surface is dotted with bubbles.
4.  Flour a work surface.  Gently roll the dough into a ball.  Place more flour on a cotton cloth covered in more flour (seam side down), cover with another towel and let it rise 2 more hours.  It should be double the size and not readily spring back when touched.
5.  Half an hour before the bread is ready to bake, heat oven to 450 and place a 6-8 qt dish in the oven to heat (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex, ceramic).
6.  When dough is risen, pull out the heated dish, turn the dough into the dish.  It may not look perfect, but shake it a bit to settle it evenly and then place it in the oven.
7.  Cover with lid and bake for 30 minutes.  Remove lid and bake another 15-30 minutes until golden brown.

4 comments

Carol said...

You said it need to sit at 70degrees for hours.. but you put it in your refrigerator? Looks like a great recipe to have on hand but could you please clear that part up for me. Thanks!! Love the blog!

Erin said...

I'm not a big bread maker because it always seems to hard. But 3 ingredients? I might have to try this one. Thanks!

Christy said...

If it's warm out....if you were to leave it out too many hours it would get a little large. If you stick it in the fridge it just rises really slowly and reaching a point where it will 'stop.' A lot of times I'll let it rise on the counter for awhile and then stick it in the fridge to sort of hit 'pause.' If I don't feel it rose enough in the fridge from that point-I'll just stick it back out on the counter the next afternoon and let it rise some more. I just put that in there b/c I've been making this the evening before (or afternoon)-sticking it in the fridge and forgetting it until I get home and then pulling it out to bake. Does that make sense?

tt.scraps said...

I am not the best bread maker, so did I just learn that bread will rise in the fridge, but it just takes longer??? WOW! That info can be useful! :)