Freezer Meal: Pasta and Smoke Sausage

Wednesday, October 19, 2016
I'm in the process of filling my freezer.  I know some people do it all at once, but I've been doing it week by week.  I bought some containers at the Dollar Tree and when I make a meal that is freezable I cook half for now and half for later.  This one was hearty and carbo loaded goodness with all the right things.  The original recipe calls for peas, but I didn't add those to mine because after I discovered peas are a high carb/not so healthy vegetable....I gave those puppies up-vegetables and I have a casual relationship to begin with, I don't need to hang out with any that are bad influences.  I have enough of those in my life.  So, peas or not-that's up to you, but this one will stay on my freezer rotation.  :O)  The original recipe is from Taste of Home.
Pasta and Smoked Sausage
Ingredients:  2 c. uncooked penne, 1 lb smoked sausage (cut into 1/4 inch slices), 1 1/2 c. 2% milk, 1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted, 1 1/2 c. cheddar french friend onions (divided), 1 c. mozzarella cheesed (grated, divided), 1 c. frozen peas
Instructions:  
1.  Cook pasta according to the instructions.
2.  Place sausage in a pan and brown over medium heat (about 5 minutes).  Drain.
3.  In a separate bowl combine the soup, milk, 1/2 c. mozzarella cheese, peas, 1/2 c. onions, sausage and pasta.
4.  Grease 13x9 pan and place pasta mixture into pan.  Cooke for 25 minutes.  Top with remaining cheese and onions and cook until cheese is melted (about 5 minutes).
*To freeze place pasta in a freezer pan, top with cheese and onions.  Cover.  Freeze.  When you are ready to eat it, set it in the fridge over night.  Pull it out and cook as directed above (center should read 165 degrees).  

No comments