Travel Nursery

Friday, January 20, 2017
 I've been posting the details of this nursery over the last few weeks.  Here's the final shebang. My co-worker had a baby, and her husband didn't want to know the gender, but she did.  They compromised and if she agreed to wait, he agreed to let her have the nursery decorated.  That's where I come in, the only thing I ever pretend to be is crafty, but this nursery was a fun one.  Anyone that knows me well knows I love a good bargain.  I was a given a budget of 500, and I was able to put this all together for 350...winning!  I had her pin nurseries she liked for boys or girls, and she pinned a lot of navy, gray, and mint, so that was my first stop.  Her and her husband love baseball, so that seems like the obvious choice, but I didn't really think it went well with these colors, and I figured that would be a fun way to turn over his room from baby to little boy, though I've told him to go slow on the growing thing.  The other thing I know about Jessica and her husband is that they love to travel, so that's what I decided to do-little bits of travel themes in a mint, navy, and gray nursery.
 Here are the before photos.  They bought the crib and a dresser that seconds as a changing table.  The cubbies were in their office before.
 Our friend, Kristine, was getting rid of this light green chair.  I danced a little when she told me the color.  She had to choose furniture based on a neutral theme.  The colors for the girl's nursery were pinks and golds.  The prayer sign was a gift from baby Miles grandmother, and it just so happens to work perfectly as well.
Now to the after....
 This is the changing table area.  I found a cute little basket to store diapers.  I found the M with the map already on it (thank you, Michael's).  It was on sale.  I also found the round mirror and chevron frame, and tool caddy at Hobby Lobby.  I waited for those to go half off.  I made the clipboard (click back on old post for that).  I got the pillow on sale at Target, and the blanket is from HomeGoods.
 I made the banner using my cricut (click back for that tutorial).
 This little jar holds some pacifiers, and the burp clothe is another thing I made with my embroidery machine.  I put this close to the rocking chair.  Eventually, this will hold diapers etc.
 I made this little onsie for Miles, and a little album she can fill with his first adventures (click back for those details). The album is the shape of a luggage tag.   I filled the frame with their facebook pregnancy announcement.
I bought the shelf on clearance at AtHome.
 The changing pad cover was from Burlington Coat Factory.  The bedsheets (a two pack) were also from there.
 I bought the cubbies (blue) and the lamp/shade were also on clearance.  I had asked her to pull things that were from each of their childhoods so I could incorporate them.  The little truck and glove were her husband's toys when he was little.  I made the little arrows just as a little extra, they were cheap, and a fun way to use the colors.  I also had made the banner to hang somewhere and it turns out it looked good over the windows.  I had another plan, but when I went for my jigsaw it had found it's way to my brother's girlfriend's house.  In all fairness, he bought it, but my defense is it's lived at my house for about ten years now.   It turns out these looked cute above the window.
 I found this little suitcase on Amazon, the globe is from Michael's, the compass is from Ebay (less than 2 dollasr), and the airplane rattle is from Etsy.  I died when I saw this.  I tried to sew one b/c I don't know how to knit (it's on my list), but I just kept going back to this and I finally ordered it as a gift.
 I found this rug on clearance at HomeGoods (12 dollars).  I got the M at Hobby Lobby (half off).  I bought the two signs on etsy, but I used frames from thrift stores (for a dollar) to frame these signs. I just sprayed them to match the room.  Oh the Places You'll Go was the priciest of the two (24), but I got to customize the colors.  The Adventure Sign was only 5 dollars, but I had to print it myself.
 I bought the arrow pillow at Hobby Lobby, and I made this little pillow with my embroidery machine.  I made the airplane mobile.  All those tutorials have been posted in the last week or two.  I also made the quilt and the bedskirt (click back for those tutorials).
I really loved being able to put together this nursery.  It's fun to play in other people's houses and with their 'stuff.'  Mama, Daddy, and Miles got to see it this fall (finally) when they brought him home.  I can't wait to watch his adventures unfold!  

No comments