Teaching Tuesday: Snot and Buggers

Tuesday, October 23, 2018
      Look at me following through two weeks in a row.  Truth, I really am pretty good about following through with things, but I just wasn't sure if I wanted to add a teaching piece to my blog.  Truth, I didn't want to start a new blog either, so I'm just going to be me, which is someone with a lot of pots in the fire.  My goal is to make these more user friendly.  If you don't need teaching tips, skip Tuesday.  I'm not loading printable files today b/c I googled the images from the internet, and I don't want to get in trouble, BUT the ideas are easy to do.  I merged two ideas-SNOTS (Short Notes On The Side).  I have no idea who had that idea first, it was just an acronym I saw written at the top of a paper in a district lesson plan, and I googled what it meant, and another activity via Wade King, which I saw recently on Instragram.  It was done with math, but I found a way to adapt it to reading.  
     The first step is for kids to interact with the text. They write S.N.O.T.S at the top of their paper and then they jot down little thoughts as they are reading the text.  Let them use a green pen or pencil so it looks like they snotted all over their paper.  
     Then give them multiple choice questions.  Group them, print off the answer choices and they have to #1 decide the answer, and #2 go find the write booger that matches (A,B,C,D).  BUT have them put some green dyed vaseline on their nose and make them find the booger and pick it up with their snotty nose and take it back to their desk.  
   Winning team definitely needs some sort of green treat.  Sprite (snot juice) etc.  

No comments