Crayon Craft

Monday, September 29, 2008

Thanks go to Jo for posting great art ideas on her blog! I saw the ABC crayons, and was impressed (and I have future plans for these molds after this experiment for another ‘project‘ I have going on). I’ve had a bucket of ‘old’ crayons in my classroom for years. The students like the new boxes, and I’m not sure what I was waiting for with this crusty pail, but I found it. I bought these ‘sillycone’ molds that can go in the freezer OR the oven from a sight called Let’s Explore. The first batch was a little difficult. I found you do have to mix colors in the same family (if you choose to mix), the cheap crayons made things separate, so the traditional crayola crayons seem to work best, and I‘d probably just get a new box in the future. It’s not easy to pop those puppies out once the crayons melt, and I broke a few, and had to ‘remelt them.’ I’m not sure about their durability, but I think it’s a super cute idea. I made two batches to begin with for a few pal’s little ones around here, it’s safe to post because I doubt any of their 3 year olds are reading my blog. I love homemade gifts, and I love all the idea sharing going on over the net!

4 comments

Thomas Family said...

So do you then write with the crayon letter or what are they used for?

Christy said...

Yes they work like any old crayon...just with a shape, so I imagine some will be interesting to work with. They probably work best for scribbling :)

Hurtado Family said...

That is so neat!!! I love it!

Ella said...

that is so creative! i love it!! great idea!