The Closest to Gold I'll Be Getting...

Tuesday, March 02, 2010
This is one of the 'desserts' that will be on my Cowgirl Baby Shower Dessert Bar (it will be the simplest of the selections), but there is a story....

Last year I spent my unborn child's college fund on yellow candy. In case you stumbled upon the blog-I'm not pregnant, I've never been pregnant, and I don't have any immediate plans of being a Mom unless there is indeed something in the 'gold family' on my ring finger....just needed to get that out there.
Anyway....when I do have a child-I hope they like yellow candy 'cause I have a supply to last through my great grandchildren's college graduation, assuming they can find some other greatgrandmother to pay for that college....I already covered this inability to do so because of the aforementioned yellow candy supply.
Note to Self: Do not purchase large quantities of yellow candy until you are certain of the specified purpose occurring.
Moving on....yellow doesn't exactly go with my rugged, pink, cowgirl theme. (There are two long stories in there somewhere, but they don't want to come out right now).
So....with the expiration date on the candy looming....I decided I needed to use some of this....someway....somehow. I knew I wanted some sort of dessert bar, it's one of my favorite things to do at showers....weddings...days that end in Y etc, but the ever growing apothecary candy jars living in my house didn't really fit here, so I've decided on tin pails. The next step was figuring out what to fill them with (Can I incorporate this yellow sea of calories SOMEHOW?). I saw there was some bubble gum that kept popping up under the Western Themed parties on Oriental Trading.

I decided little bags of 'gold nuggets' were necessary for this party to fill one of the buckets. I went and got some burlap (2.99 for a yard at JoAnne's, plus I had a coupon that made it 1.50, I have more than enough to also use as a little table cloth somewhere) and sewed little bags for my M&M gold (I made 25 out of less than 1/3 of a yard). (As you can see, my cutting was very exact and carefully measured, and thought out. ;o))

Here is a very poor picture of me sewing, one line up each side, it couldn't be simpler...

I'll be filling these with my yellow M&M's (I have some yellow Reese's as well, but I think I'm going to have a 'mining station' for the kids, and let them mine that gold out amongst a bean filled container).
I'll be tying these with some rope I have, and adding a cute label so everyone understands the yellow on my Western Candy Bar.
Oh yeah, and I won't be telling anyone these are repurposed M&M's. One dessert down for this shower....4 more to go (it'll be more like 40 by the time I'm done).

No comments