Azalea Trail in Tyler, Texas

Sunday, April 11, 2010

I've heard about Tyler's Azalea Trail for the last few years (it's 50 years in the making, but...that rock I live under keeps getting in the way). The official trail 'festival' closed last week, but the flowers are still in bloom, and I decided I didn't want to wait another year to mark this off the list of things I wanted to see! This afternoon after Saturday School (two more to go!) My Mom, cousin, and I drove two hours East towards Tyler, Texas.
Side Note: I love spring in Texas. Specifically, I love April on the highways in Texas. Bluebonnet highways, there are no words. There are not any roads more beautiful than when bluebonnets are in full bloom with their wildflower sisters. The end. I can't talk about this anymore, or I won't go to work this week...I'd have to head south down 35 towards Austin and get lost in the wildflowers. This year, in particular, they are amazing....so abundant. It hurts they are so beautiful. I digress, but it was necessary.
Once I made it past the wildflower lined highways, I made it to The Azalea Trails in Tyler.

The Azalea's are planted along the yards of historic homes in Tyler, Texas, which are beautiful in their own right. (There are more than 8 miles of historic homes with Azaleas, and two trails to follow via car, bike, foot...there is no way I could capture this in a picture, or a blog entry!)
You find yard...

...after yard...

...after yard...

...of pink, red, and white shades of Azaleas God carefully painted this season.


Apparently when the trails are in full swing, the neighbors who planted, and foster these beautiful flowers open the gates to their yards (front and back), and you have permission to get an upclose view. We were still able to drive the 8 mile trail and see the beautiful flowers, and historic homes, and even walk along some of the flowering pathways with minimal trespassing. :O) I didn't capture the beauty we experienced in pictures, I couldn't. You just have to go see for yourself.

6 comments

alissa {33shadesofgreen} said...

oh wow - beautiful! Love your pictures too! Makes me even more anxious for summer around here. Things are just starting to bloom.

Kansas Amy said...

Thank you for sharing! I love your pics. Wish I was closer, I'd love to take it all in! I planted two azaleas this year. I can't wait to see them grow and bloom over the years!

Lori said...

Wow, fun and gorgeous. I love the close up of the Dogwood and we have a yellow lady banks rose in the backyard. Wish I had that front porch to go with it.

Charles and Heidi said...

We are like-minded this week!!

Lori said...

Christy, for Bishop arts link I added the link to Shelbi's name, see it underlined in my post. She has a lot better camera than mine and.... she hit the chocolate store.

Sarah @HarriganHowdy said...

Oh, sooo pretty!! Thank you for sharing. And thanks for leaving the comment the other day about the festival in Ennis. I did not know about it since we just recently moved here. :) So, I will definitely check it out!! I love doing things like that. This Azalea Trail is pretty too. Hmm... Might just have to go take another drive soon.

Blessings!
-Sarah