A Bouquet of Cinnamon Buns

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

That's right...mini cinnamon buns on a stick...in a chalk mug. I pretty much died and went to heaven when I saw this post a few months back by some bakers who have written a book about bread (I wonder what the attraction for me is?), and it took me this long to get permission to get back here from heaven and make some. Usually, I can't wait this long, but I have thought about them often, and the recipe and instructions I printed have been sitting on my nightstand since I printed them...I wish I were lying. (The reason I'm single becomes a little more clear daily when I reveal stuff like this...Chapter 2,345,765 of This Side of Single: Mini Cinnamon Bun Recipes...On the Nightstand).
There is apparently a competition in Minnesota at the state fair with food on a stick. I'm moving, that's it....I have to be in Minnesota with other people that appreciate serving things on a stick. I love sticks. I can't even link to all the stick projects I've done over the last four years, not to mention the 26 years before I blogged that I've been playing with sticks (My love of sticks also includes one incident where I ate a piece of stick, I don't recommend that...or dirt...or grass...or leaves. In my defense, I was young, and Ella suggested it. I wonder if Ella remembers recommending trying out the local culinary delights in our yards when we were little girls? On a good note-I was never much of a follower after that, so this probably kept me out of trouble as a teen, thanks Ella. ;o)).
P.s. I have another 'on-a-stick recipe I have to try soon, but I have the date for that in mind as well, so I'll wait. I just need a little praise for having found some patience, and an actual reason to do a craft, other than my invented holidays!
OK...back to the craft. This Wednesday is Principal Appreciation Day. Usually my teaching partners and I get together and give our principal(s) a Starbuck's gift card because that's the sort of thing (we think) they like. This year I suggested we attach it to a chalkboard mug (I've seen all sorts of fun chalkboard ideas all over the net, so when I'm ready to get help, I know there are plenty of people who can join me in my support group) filled with a mini cinnamon bun bouquet. The other two on my team need a raise because this was one of about 23 suggestions I made that hour for work and non-work related stuff, which is sort of how it goes daily in my world of people. I've been trying to talk to one of them about her son's birthday party in July since last August. If the government ever found out about me, I'm pretty sure they'd use me for torture tactics with foreign captives, but there are laws against cruel and unusual punishment so... Sorry, people in my world, it's how God made me.
I bought a mug at the (cough cough Dollar Tree cough cough).

I created a square with painter's tape, and sprayed the square with chalkboard spraypaint (my new drug of choice), and then put a little square of styrofoam inside the mug for my sticks ( the foam is also from the Dollar Tree, which is conveniently located next to Hobby Lobby-who I probably need to start paying rent to b/c I go there 6 days a week (they are closed on Sunday)).

I baked the cinnamon rolls, adapting the instructions in the link above. In the recipe (from the link at the top of this blog) they say you can use a variety of different bread doughs. I used a canned dough I bought near the biscuits/crescent rolls called crescent dough sheets.

I sprinkled 1/2 c. of brown sugar, and then I sprinkled the whole thing with 1 1/2 T. cinnamon. (You leave one long edge plain so that it can seal when you roll it tightly...I went back and reread the directions, and had to spread my brown sugar/cin to the edges after rereading...so, I guess this is how not to do it.)

You roll it up (they have great pictures on the site). Use scissors to snip it into 3/4 inch pieces (if they are too thin, they wouldn't slide on a stick). I only got 20 out of my batch of dough. You then add your pieces to a (greased) mini-muffin pan. It says to let it rise, but with this sort of ready made dough, that step was not necessary.

Here's my team of employees. They are in charge of letting me know when things are done baking...when people come to my door....when leaves blow down the street....when the garbage man in here....when the mailman is here....

Out of the oven after 15 minutes at 350 degrees.

You do need to go ahead and pull them out of the pan right away (I used a fork), and insert the stick before the dough/brown sugar hardens.
As for the icing, the recipe calls for a powdered sugar/heavy cream mix, but I wasn't sure how this would harden, so I actually melted some white chocolate, put it in a ziplock, snipped the corner, and zigzagged my way to these....

Everything's better with raffia...

I used the rest of the money we all pitched in to supplement with a gift card, and ta da...another Principal Appreciated on their day!

Another 'bouquet,' minus the chalkboard cup.

This project was really super, duper, easy, cheesy, peezy....whatever the words are that mean 'easy,' that's what I want to apply here...because it was, and I love it. I'm for real this time! Christy+Mini Cini's=Chrisinimini
Linking To:
Be Different...Act Normal
Me and My Bucket
Trendy Treehouse
We Are That Family



Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

http://rootsandwingsco.blogspot.com/

41 comments

Lori said...

I bought chalkboard spray paint yesterday. Never thought about a coffee cup, great idea.

Jo said...

OH MY GOD!! You are so far up there on my admiration tree. Between your crafts and your kindness for using your passion for parties for other people, you are just amazing. And I promise you a man would love to have a wife who had sweet recipes on her night stand instead of Bathroom readers and other fact books.

Christy said...

@ Lori-Let me know when you are ready to join my support group. I love the paint so much....I'm thinking about having my next pedicure 'color' chalkboard paint.
@ Jo-You are too sweet. I call my friend's 'victims,' but I appreciate your perspective so much better ;O)

Denise Marie said...

Way to go, honey!!

You really rocked it out!! I have been starting to make candy and fruit bouquets. I agree everything looks better with raffia/ribbon and cello. lol

TFS

a little bit of everything said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment - I have followed you back and become a follower as well. I LOVE all the chalkboard items. And these cinnamon buns are so clever!

Jelli said...

That is adorable! I had no idea that spray chalkboard paint existed, but I'm sure I could never find it here in Central America *frown. The cinnamon buns on a stick are definitely worth noting. I will be making these soon.

Christy said...

I found the chalkboard spray paint at Home Depot in the spray paint section. They also had a little can of paint you can brush on, I can't say I recommend it b/c if it's not moving, I'm spraying it these days, but if you want to join the addiction....that's my source. :O)

Santa's Gift Shoppe and Ideas said...

LOVEEEE, LOVE, LOVE it!!!!!!! That's the kind of stuff I come up with..why didn't I think of that!!
You are so cute..made me laugh about your crew..Love your blog & your name.. I'm already a follower..I think you are of me as well @
santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
If not I'd love you to come over & be one..Have great day!! Barb

Brandi said...

Wow! That is a super neat idea!!!

Brianna! said...

I always make this for Christmas Breakfast at my nanny and pawpaws but It never occured to me how REALLY cute you can make them:)

xoxo
B's

Kansas Amy said...

Very cool, love it! I made the sopapilla cheesecake and my family thought they were the best thing ever. I just made a post about them, hope you don't mind!

Unknown said...

This is amazing. I am definitely going to use this idea.

restlessrisa said...

I LOVE this! I saw it on Red Berry Barn. You are brilliant! I am going to have to use this idea some day! Thanks for posting :)

Simply Domestic said...

What a cute idea! They look delish!

Amy said...

Bookmarked this one! So very cute. Thanks for sharing!

Carrie @ Dittle Dattle said...

Did I just die? Is this heaven? IMG!!! I have to do this... Right now! Why? I just had a very sweet lady give me a bread machine because I told her mine broke and we couldn't continue our tradition of home-made cinnamon buns on Christmas morning. Would this not be the perfect way to thank her for her lovely gift and thoughtfullness!! Thank you so much for sharing.

Kendra@Creative Ambitions said...

OK...craving cinnamon buns now!! Very cute!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

These are incredible! What a perfect gift! Stop by the Celebration party if you get a chance. These are adorable - another one of your excellent ideas! Thanks for sharing your creativity!

FrouFrouBritches said...

Oh my gracious! My favorite food on a stick! YUM!! It looks pretty too!

mmtncrfts said...

Great idea! I love this for a hostess gift! I just had to feature this on my blog!! Thanks for sharing! Come on over: http://mmtncrfts.blogspot.com

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Thanks so much for stopping by and linking up to the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it! This is such an adorable gift! Love it!Hope you enjoy your week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Ella said...

love it!! the cinnamon buns on a stick thing...not the part about me coercing you into eating a stick! what the world????? why would i make sweet christy eat a stick?? and why would I even suggest such a thing??...i am so sorry. it scares me to think what other things i did or said when i was little that i have absolute no memory of. so. so. sorry.

Diane Schmidt said...

What a very cute and clever idea! I love it :)

Crystal said...

How cute!
Your little dog on the big dog and the big dog's face totally not caring was cracking me up! They look like a funny group. 8)

Valerie said...

Adorable! I gotta get to work.

Sheri@childmade.com said...

YUM!!! I wasn't hungry before. Thanks for sharing ... I've posted a link.

the decorated cookie said...

Cutie cute cute! I posted a link as well on my column (ediblecrafts.craftgossip.com). Thanks for sharing!

msubulldog said...

Love, love, love this idea!!

Sue said...

What a great idea!

Gail said...

These are great! I found your idea on One Pretty Thing's teacher apprecition roundup. I made these tonight for my kids to give their teachers on the last day of school tomorrow.

LauraS said...

I just have to say that I love reading your blog. I do believe your mind works a little like mine and I quite enjoy your little tangents that are always encased with parenthesis. I love the idea of the cinnamon buns on a stick. I think flavoring the icing with a little cinnamon would be yum! Your helpers are adorable and I love how the little one sits on the big one :) I have just started following your blog and I have to say you are high on my list of favorites. I can't wait to see what you have to post in the future!

The Applonies said...

Oh my goodness! Those are adorable! Great idea and cute way of displaying them!

DanielleisNesting said...

I love these so much! Adorable!

chris said...

These look amazingly yummy! What a darling gift for someone special.

A Dixie Girls Delights said...

I am so excited its crazy right now I am scheduled for a csection in march and wanted to make the lovely nurses who will prep and calm me down something sweet I thought about bringing doughnuts but this ideas way better :) I plan on making cake balls for the postpartum nurses lol and already made some mini streusel loaves for the ladies at my dr.s ;) thanks so much for the idea I cant wait too bad hobby lobbys closed today I need some sticks and they are my store of crafting choice lol

Unknown said...

I did a mug similar to this for my children's teachers last year. Our mugs were a bit larger and so we put in one of those "hot cocoa things in a jar" that was leftover from our somewhat home-made Christmas. They loved it!

Holly said...

You're so funny and this gift is so clever. :)

BTW, I hear that men find the scent of cinnamon rolls to be a turn-on.... just sayin'.

Jen Price said...

LOVE this idea! I made it for my kid's teachers this week!

http://jeremynjenprice.blogspot.com/2011/05/teacher-appreciation-week.html

Anonymous said...

I posted a link to this project on my blog.
http://loveaffairwithmybrother.blogspot.com/2011/05/web-favs-of-week.html

Thanks for the great idea!!

mashal said...

question- where di you get the plastic to wrap the individual buns in?

Christy said...

Wilton sells a little bag for suckers and cake pops! :)