Mexican Wedding Cookies

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Today Aimee and Barry are getting married. I'm helping a very talented gal out who has been arranging all the details of their wedding, so I get to play with flowers, and candy. This all makes me a happy girl.
So what does that have to do with this recipe? Well, they ARE called WEDDING COOKIES. To be fair, I don't believe Aimee or Barry have any family from Mexico. I'm not even sure if they have traveled to Mexico, but the lines are very thin that I try to draw to explain why I do what I do when I do it.
I’m not sure if they actually serve these at weddings in Mexico. I’ll check out the dessert line if I ever attend one, but I’ve made them for lots of ‘fiesta themed’ showers, so … whatever works. I like these. A lot. And they make a ton! No, I'm not attaching these to the wedding gift. I actually made these awhile back for 'something else' and have a picture. I decided to post about this today since my hands will be too busy helping with wedding details to get much more accomplished in craftland/blogland. :O)
Ingredients
½ cups Butter
½ cups Shortening
2 cups Confectioner's Sugar, Divided
1-¼ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
¼ teaspoons Almond Extract
2 cups Flour
¼ teaspoons Salt
1 cup Pecans
1 cup Confectioner Sugar
Preparation Instructions
1. Let your butter soften to room temperature, and then use a mixer to cream the butter, shortening, and half of the confectioner’s sugar.
2. Stir in vanilla, and almond extract.
3. Use a mixer to add half the flour, and salt. Then use a wooden spoon to add the remaining flour.
4. Stir in your finely chopped pecans. Your dough will be stiff.
5. Form dough into balls (the size of a level tablespoon).
6. Place on an ungreased pan, 1 inch apart. This should make about 36 cookies.
7. Bake at 325 degrees for 15-20 minutes in the middle of the oven.
8. Pull your cookies out when they are a light golden color. While the cookies are still warm, roll them in the remaining cup of powdered sugar. Set on waxed paper to cool.

2 comments

Anonymous said...

They would be good snacks for the helpers :)

Shamrocks and Shenanigans said...

I make these too..I think mine might be called Russian tea cakes though...same ingredients, I am pretty sure. lol

Shamrocks and Shenanigans