Boston Creme Cupcakes

Friday, May 21, 2010

I saw these cupcakes a few months back on Sandra Lee's Semi Homemade show via Food TV. (I saw these again in a March Woman's Day magazine that had the Bee Cupcakes I baked a few weeks back.) I printed off the recipe from food network, and planned to make them for my Aunt's birthday b/c she really like yellow cake, with chocolate icing, and upon interview, she also happens to like Boston Creme Pie. I have seen a few people try this recipe out lately, this is the version I went with, and it was very....very good, with a few 'learned' tricks I'll document for future Boston Creme Fun. They were good.
Ingredients:
Yellow Cupcakes (use your favorite recipe (or Betty C's...whatever), and add the supplies needed to your list),
1 1/4 c. milk, 1 small box of instant vanilla pudding, 1 T. vanilla, 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate morsels, 1 c. heavy cream.
YELLOW CUPCAKES
Bake 12 yellow cupcakes using your favorite mix. (I made about 20, using a batch that was supposed to make 24, but overfilling the cups, so they would puff up nicely above the liners.)
Slice the top of your cupcake off. (I just sliced off the protion above the liner using a steak knife.) Set tops aside. Scream at your lab when he grabs two off the counter in one fell swoop.
CREME
Mix 1 small box of instant vanilla pudding, 1 1/4 c. milk, and 1 T vanilla for two minutes (until it thickens). Place it refridgerator for 15 minutes, and then spoon evenly over the bottoms of your cupcakes (it said this was enough for 12 cupcakes, but I easily spooned it over 19 cupcakes...). Place cupcake top on top of creme.
CHOCOLATE ICING
Heat 1 c. of heavy cream until it just begins to bubble around the edges. Remove from heat, and add 12 oz (1 bag) of semi sweet morsels. Whisk until blended. Spoon over cupcake tops. Refridgerate for 1 hour.
Linking To:
Sweet Thursdays

6 comments

Carrie @ Dittle Dattle said...

This is soooo clever! "Boston Creme" as a cupcake. Genius!!! Thanks for sharing :D

Lori said...

Lynn's favorite kind of cake. Looks very yum.

Jessica Warrick said...

they look so good. Following form new friend Friday. You can follow back at http://punkrockmomma.com

Coupons Equal Cash said...

Wow! These look amazing! I am one of your new Friday Followers.

Katie said...

Those look good, this may shock you but I've never had Boston Creme Pie so I have no idea if I'd actually like them or not. But they do look very yummy, maybe I'll have to skip the pie and start with the cupcake.

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

I love Boston Creme Pie. This looks yummy! Thanks for linking up!