Samoa Cupcakes With Mini Samoa Toppers

Monday, May 10, 2010

These are two facts of life that are not debatable in my world:
1. Joe McIntyre is/was the best New Kid on the Block. End of story, debate settled.
2. Samoa Girl Scout Cookies are the tastiest of the little treasure boxes offered once a year.
Knowing this, I stumbled on this recipe at Santasgiftshoppe blog for homemade Samoas (she has lots of homemade girl scout versions, and great picture tutorials). I immediately became a follower of the blog, made a comment, then added it to my 'to do NOW' pile.
I thought about how I could add some of myself to this recipe...and I don't mean inches to my hips. Adding that to myself goes without saying. I decided to make a cupcake Samoa version, and add these little beauties to the top...in mini-form. This also prevented me from having to use the stash of cookies currently in my freezer, sitting right next to my cadberry egg collection.
CHOCOLATE COCONUT CUPCAKES

I used a boxed chocolate cake mix, and just added 1 c. of coconut to the wet ingredients. I debated making a shortening cooking bottom, but I think that might have been a little extreme, even for me. I baked, per usual.
SALTED CARAMEL BUTTERCREAM ICING (3 c.)

(From Southern Living)
1. Mix 1/2 c butter (softened), 3 oz cream cheese (softened), 2 t. vanilla, 1/4 t. kosher salt.
2. Graduallay add 16 oz of powdered sugar, and 3 T of milk.
3. In a separate microwaveable bowl melt 15 caramels and 1 T of milk at 30 second intervals. Stir ever 30 seconds. This takes about 1 1/2 minutes. Fold into icing.
*I doubled the above recipe because I believe more is more.
MELTED CHOCOLATE

Melt 1 c. of chocolate chips in a ziplock bag. Pull out every 30 seconds and mash until well melted. Cut a small slit in the corner, and zig zag back and forth across the cupcakes, and cookies.
COOKIES

*I halved the following recipe.
Cookies: 1 c. butter (softened), 1/2 c. sugar, 2 c. flour, 1/4 t. baking powder, 1/2 t. salt, 1/2 t. vanilla. Mix with a mixer, and add up to2 T of milk if it is too dry. Santasgiftshop used a straw to cut the middles, I used my round fondant cutters since I wanted baby cookies.

I could have made them a little thinner. I didn't. Thin isn't exactly a word I use often. Even though I made (mostly) mini cookies, they baked about the same amount of time. Melt 1/3 c. chocolate chips, dip bottoms of cookies in chocolate, and let dry upside down before adding topping.
Coconut/Caramel Topping
1. Melt 12 oz of chewy caramels, 1/4 t. salt, and 3 T milk in the microwave. Stir in 3 c. of shredded coconut. Spread on cookies.
Chocolate
*See above. 1 c. was enough for my cookies, and cupcakes.
If you are keeping a calorie count, why? But if you are, I took these up to work for some of the other ladies who are in the midst of the testing crunch. I'm on a serious (snicker) diet, I can't have these sort of things hanging out with me. Uhhh, I've been on this 'diet' since I was 11, I might need to rethink my game plan.

Last:
Of course, after making my cupcakes, I googled this idea, and found I'm not the first...by a long shot, to think of this, but I'm OK with being a part of this exclusive club, and not the leader. I can understand how Samoa's motivated many a person in years past, and am glad to live in a world with people who share my thought process, and love of coconut, caramel, chocolate, shortening goodness!
Linking To:
Underthetableanddreaming
BetweenNapsOnthePorch

Blessed with Grace
Sweet Thursdays

10 comments

Lori said...

Our absolute favorite girl scout cookie too. Yes they have outpaced the chocolate mint and shortbread at our house. I still do buy the mint cookie just because I am just a very traditional kind of person and I would feel like I was betraying all girl scouts everywhere if I did not freeze a box and look at it for about a week before digging in. They look great and I am sure they are yummy!

Kansas Amy said...

Ummm.. my mouth is watering! I want one!

Unknown said...

How yummy! You can send some of those my way! I think I have the perfect little cupcake stand for them to sit on :)

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Seriouly Christy - You need to open a bakery {right down the street from my house} These look amazing! Must try these. Thanks for stopping by and joining the Sunday Showcase! I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Tree said...

Oh my!! These look sinful! LOL Love it.

Thanks for linking up with me today for Tasty Tuesday!

Katie said...

Okay I SO CANNOT go back and read this post in depth. I'm supposed to losing 25 big ones. Which I can even imagine being that tiny. Anyhoo those are my favorite cookies EVER and your cupcake version looks to die for. While others may have made them, I haven't ever heard of the cute little toppers. That's all you!

Ella said...

oh my!! my mouth is watering...i would seriously come over right now and beg for one (or 10) of these cupcakes if you just lived a tad bit closer. Wow!!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Wow! I just made my first batch of samoa cookies last week. Now I need some of your cupcakes to go with them! Thanks for linking up!

Suzy said...

These sound awesome. Samoas are my fave oh ya..and the Tagalongs..hard to choose.

Erin said...

OH. MY. HECK!!! These look like heaven! I can't wait to try them. Samoas are addicting!!!

www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com