Dinosaur Egg Soap

Thursday, June 03, 2010


I have a friend named John Ross. He's four...and a half. He recently acquired a little sister. I posted yesterday about her assortment of gifts, and the day before about his parent's gifts, but I also understand the importance of bringing big brother a gift. He's a really inquisitive child, and he's every teacher's dream because he loves 'educational' things like books. He really likes books. I could steal him, but his Mom is pretty tough, and I'm really quite frightened of her when it comes down to it, so I'll just visit.
I decided this time around to go with a dinosaur themed gift pack. I found some little traveling activity dinosaur packs at World Market, and additional dinosaurs-in-a-tube at JoAnne's. I figured he'd be going with the family on various doctor's visits etc, so it's always good to have travel toys. The additional dinosaurs were important because more is more when you are four, right? I was going to make some dinosaur bone cookies, but his family is pretty healthy, and I was already taking cupcakes, so.... The last little item I wanted to throw in there was something I've been thinking about since I produced (hotel) recycled soaps awhile back. I'm sure these have been done before, but I haven't done this, nor have I seen it around the stores here. I have seen soaps in the past that have little objects inside, and I thought this would be pretty motivational for kids to wash their hands to get to those little objects. ...and when I say "kids"...I mean me.
When I was making my soaps for my guest bathroom, I found I got a LITTLE overzealous unwrapping soaps, and then I found I got a little bored after the first 4 or 5 thousand, but I didn't want to waste that soap, so I scooped it into some cups, and stashed it away for a rainy day....or a project. I pulled out my soap stash, a large Easter Egg, and a little pack of dinosaurs I bought at the 5 and dime store in Fredericksburg. (I could have used one from the pack I bought at JoAnne's, but I got a little wrapped up in buying dinosaurs and decided I needed these instead). I also got some black food dye and added a drop or two to my blue soap to make it more of a gray color, like a prehistoric egg. Side Note: When I was little I was pretty convinced every round rock I found was a dinosaur egg. I miss those days!

I melted my soap, added the dye, and mixed. I decided to leave the egg a little speckled. I filled half the egg, and then sunk the dinosaur down inside that half.

I then filled the second half with soap, and squished it down over the half of the dino that wasn't buried. I suspect I won't be using this egg next year in an Easter basket.

I stuck the egg in the freezer for 30 minutes or so, and then the egg sides slid right off. ...and it appears I didn't mix it toooo well b/c half of the egg is lighter, but I can live with this first time...I've lived with far worse!

And now....John Ross has a fun reason to wash those hands. I give him about 20 minutes before he's removed that dinosaur, but for those 20 minutes, he'll be very, very clean, and how often can you say that about a four year old? Next up....a gift for John Ross in honor of Alexis' upcoming Christening, and I'm excited about "it."
Linking To:
Under the Table and Dreaming
Just a Girl
House of Hepworth
Somewhat Simple
Fun To Craft
Simply Sweet Home
A Vision to Remember
Sun Scholars

15 comments

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Such a fun idea! My kids will love this! They don't like touching soap!!! I will feature this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com in the next couple days. Grab my "featured' button.

Lori said...

Great idea Christy. If it was yours you are truly amazing. Lagniappe project on Sunday, hope you can come, check with Melissa on how to get here.

Ella said...

love this, christy!! great idea!!

Erin said...

This is absolutely adorable! My kids would love this!

www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

Kel said...

What a great idea. My girls would love this!!!

elizabeth @ twelvecrafts said...

This is a great little gift . . . perfect for a stocking stuffer. Would you be willing to post it to my stocking stuffer share-a-long (or give me permission to post it). I just started it today, and this would be a perfect first or second addition. You can find the share-a-long here: http://twelvecraftstillchristmas.blogspot.com/p/stocking-stuffer-ideas.html

Have a great night!

Issa Sarza-Quintos said...

wow! This looks super fun! :) So cute! :P

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Super cute! You always have the best gift ideas Christy! Love this one! Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase party! I greatly appreciate it! Hope you have a fabulous week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Ela@NewFamilyOnTheBlock.com said...

HI! I would like to invite you to join my new Pajama Party which starts Wednesday! (The link goes up tonight)

http://lifeinmypjs.blogspot.com/p/pajama-party.html

Thanks!

~Ela

Anji* said...

This is seriously cool! A dinosaur inside a soap egg - I love it!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

What a fun idea! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

Helen said...

this is fantastic, and I think i'll be making one (or two) for my boyfriends 23rd birthday, well boys will be boys :P.
But now to ebay to find easter egg shells in August!

Wendy said...

Just came across these, in my search for stocking stuffer gifts for my three little guys! This is perfect!! Can't wait. My oldest son is 9- and the youngest is 3-years old, and they will all enjoy this.
Thanks!

Unknown said...

That is so fun! I've never tried to make my own. What a great idea!

I'd love to have you stop by my For the Kids Fridays Link Party and share! Stop by and check it out!

http://sunscholars.blogspot.com/2011/03/for-kids-friday-4.html

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this post at For the Kids Friday at Sun Scholars. This week's party is now posted. I'd love to have you share with us again this week!

http://sunscholars.blogspot.com/2011/03/for-kids-friday-5.html