Pupckers-Suckers for the Dog

Friday, July 23, 2010

Because I'm perfectly normal, I decided I absolutely could not live another day without making these suckers for my dogs. I actually saw something like this (I have no idea what the shop calls them) last June at a gourmet dog shop in MN.....actually, I saw a bunch of things I plan on trying via my road trip...but this is where I'll start. My dogs needed to bake a snack for a dog friend who just had puppy surgery. Don't your dogs always bring get well gifts to their dog friends? I also think these would be really cute for puppy party favors, but I'm not actually going to admit to such a plan....today.
I bought little rawhide chew sticks for the 'stick' part of the sucker, I used the same recipe for the 'cookie' part that I used a few months back to bake dog biscuits (a full recipe with a 2 inch, round cookie cutter should make about 16 of these suckers), and I used left over white chocolate to decorate the cookies.
I rolled out my 'cookie dough' to a pretty thick consistency (at least 1/4 inch, so I could slide the stick inside). I baked the cookies, and as soon as they came out of the oven, I slide the rawhide sticks inside. They went in really smoothly. The top of the cookie bubbled up a little bit on some of the cookies where the stick slid in, but the white chocolate later went over those small cracks, AND hardened into place to make this cookie really stable on the rawhide stick.

When I melted my white chocolate (for icing) I didn't heat it as long as I would have if I were going to dip strawberries or something in it. I just heated it until it was starting to get smooth....about 40 seconds. I used a knife to 'spread it,' and it wasn't so soft that it ran off the side of the cookie. You could dip the whole cookie in white chocolate and eliminate this concern, but I was conserving chocolate. I then melted white chocolate, dyed yellow, inside a ziplock for about the same amount of time. I squished the morsels together when it was done heating, snipped off the end of the ziplock, and piped on my design.

I did make a few reject cookies for Max, Lilly, and Peanut....I mean, special cookies that only my dogs deserve to eat, NOT ones that didn't turn out as I hoped....no...only the best for my buddies...

I'm beginning to suspect they are less concerned with what they look like, and more concerned with what they taste like....

Peanut is on a diet, he got less chocolate....I'm sure that helped.

P.s. I promise Peanut has had a pedicure since this point.
Linking To:
Fun to Craft
Funky Junk
Under the Table and Dreaming
Tatortots and Jello
Sundae Scoop
Keeping it Simple
Pretty Package Party
Featured On:
Under the Table and Dreaming
I Was Featured Pretty Packages Party

16 comments

DanaElayne said...

Uh oh! I feel a Boris and Lucy treat coming on :) These are adorable!

Elizabeth {sunny bug} said...

...and since I am perfectly normal too...these would have been great wedding treats for the dog wedding we attended a couple of summers ago for Dufus (the groom: german shepard) and Lilly (the bride: great dane). My dog, Max was the ring bearer (boston terrior)...they all dressed up in costumes. The bride & groom's owners I think just wanted an excuse to have a summer bbq. It was fun though... ;) {p.s. I'm making these for Max!}

idesign said...

this is perfectly normal! lol. i made my dog home made dog treats too, she LOVED them, shes in heaven now so i might have to make these for my new pup that's even more spoiled lol....thanks for the perfectly normal idea ;)

Moe said...

I think my dog needs these too! home made treats are extra special and you know they secretly enjoy them more :)

ps. I found you on It's fun to Craft's Friday link party!

Anonymous said...

Too Cute! Perfect treat for furry friends.

greenbean said...

omg!...how great are these!...i love 'em!..and...i know will puppers will too!...

Jami said...

OH!!! I heart your puppies and that you make them treats! I hope you'll stop by my First Pretty Packages Party and share some of your fabulous talent!
Just pick up a button for an easy reminder!
www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com
Smiles!!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Hi Christy! These are simply adorable! I love the 'sticks' too! Your little doggies are such cute models. Wanted to let you know I'll be featuring this today. Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase - I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a fabulous week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

L!ND$EY said...

LOVE love LOVE this idea! And I love the looks on their faces as they get their treats =)

idesign said...

you had me at doggie ice cream but upon further review, there are more recipes for little chloe...now i must follow :)

Denise Marie said...

You crazy girl!! lol

OMG, he looks sooooo happy!! love it.

Jami said...

I just LOVE these! Thank you so much for sharing them at the Pretty Packages Party!
smiles!

DogsMom said...

I am stoppping by from the prettiest packages party, which I found by way of the Rooster party, but what a lovely thing to find treats for a puppy party.

Jami said...

I featured your pupckers today! Grab a button if you like!
smiles!

Sue said...

I LOVE the rawhide in place of the lollipop stick! I'm going to make some of these for my own pup and some of her canine friends:)

lucy taylor said...

Your post is awesome on Puppy treats. You have shared very valuable information to us. Thank you so much for sharing this.
Bully sticks for dogs