Bathroom Tea Towels

Thursday, August 12, 2010

This is the last of four projects I did last June to jazz up my guest bathroom. Someday I want to get a new tub/sink, and add wainscoting, new paint colors, and a scripted border along the ceiling with sayings like the ones on these towels...'mom-isms.'
As far as these towels go...I have two more 'gifts' I've made I'll post closer to Christmas that are along this same line, BUT these are some hand towels I threw together for a really affordable price.
I found these 'flour sack' towels at the Dollar Tree. I originally bought a pack of 2 at a craft store for 6 bucks, and then I ran across these for a buck, squealed in the aisle, and haven't been the same since.

I grabbed a selection of ribbon and rickrack at the craft store. Let me pause and say I love this 'ball' ribbon stuff. It's so cute, I would trim all my skirts and jeans in this stuff if I didn't think they'd throw me out of work. Then end.
I took one of the huge flour clothes, cut it in half, and then trimmed down the edge I cut. I sewed on the ribbons, and then printed off the words I wanted on my computer. I used a pencil to sketch this, and then I made up all my own rules for 'embroidery' and followed my sketch with a needled and thread.

Notice, no close up? I don't want anyone that actually DOES know how to embroider accidentally stumble across my site and see the mess I call 'stitches' and report me to the sewing police. From a distance, they meet my standards. I also am pretending like the shower will emit enough steam to 'iron' out the wrinkles out without me actually have to ::shudder:: iron it by hand!
Linking To: 
Fridays at http://thegirlcreative.blogspot.com

4 comments

Unknown said...

I think your towels are lovely and what a cute idea as well.

Lori said...

So great and love the iron rack.

All That Glitters said...

these are too cute!!! I wish I knew how to sew! I wonder if you could glue the ribbon on?

Christy said...

I think you can use a glue gun, or super glue to place the ribbon....usually towels like this don't get used, so they don't need to be washed etc as often, and the glue should hold. :O)