I had this thought several years ago, but it took me this long to get around to this easy project. We use a lot of 'beans' for counting at work, and the occasional plastic bear or fun shaped (and more expensive) counting device passes my desk. I figured it would be easier (and less pricey) to decorate my own counting beans. I'm sure these sort of things have been done before, but it's my blog, and it's original to me, so....it was still fun to put together.
I took some lima beans (easier to draw on that smaller beans, and big enough for little ones to manipulate).
I sprayed both sides of the bean red.
I then watched TV and doodled imperfect faces, and dots on each ladybug. I stored these in a cleaned (and aired) mayo jar, which I also sprayed, added a ribbon, and a label to the jar. 2 dollars later, now my bean bug counters have a home. I think I'll make bumble bees next year.