Cinnamon Bun Cupcakes

Monday, September 20, 2010
 I have to work five whole days this week.  In fact, my contract says I have to work five whole days every week.  Life...is...so...rough.  Not only do I have to work, this week a team of us are testing the entire school's fluency.  After sitting through 450++ kids reading three stories at close proximity, I usually get a mysterious cold that last me a few weeks.  When I say "usually" I mean....every time for the last four years, no matter how much hand sanitizer, or human size plastic bubbles I bring to try to prevent the cold.  High immunity is not one of my super powers.  In honor of my upcoming cold, I baked some cupcakes for the small team since it may be the last time I'm able to taste for the next week or so.  I always lose my sense of taste.  Ironically, I never lose my appetite.  I love cinnamon buns.  Case in point, cinni in mini.  
In addition to loving cinnamon rolls, I love cupcakes.   I've been listing all sorts of foods I love I want to turn into cupcakes.  I threw together some of my favorite recipes to create a 'cinnamon bun' cupcake.  They are a little different tasting than a 'real' cinnamon roll with a cream cheese frosting, but I kinda like it that way. 
Cinnamon Bun Cupcake Recipe
Cinnamon Cupcake Ingredients (Makes 12)
1 c. sugar, 1/2 c. butter-softened, 2 eggs, 2 t. baking powder, 1/8 t. salt, 1 heaping T cinnamon, 1 1/2 c. sifted flour, 1/2 c. milk
Cinnamon Cupcake Instructions
2.  Blend butter, sugar, and eggs. 
3.  Add powder, salt, cinnamon, and half of the flour.  Blend.  Add milk.  Blend.  Add the rest of the flour.
4.  Bake in lined cups at 350 degrees for about 21 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean). 
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
 8 oz cream cheese, 1/2 c. butter-softened, 1/8 t. salt, 3 3/4 c. powdered sugar, 1/2 t. vanilla, 1 T. cinnamon (set aside)
Cream Cheese Frosting Instructions
1.  Blend all ingredients except cinnamon.  Set aside 1/2 cup, and add the rest to a ziplock bag (freezer bags work best b/c they are thicker and won't bust open at the seams etc).  Snip of a large corner, and swirl on your frosting. 
2.  Mix the last 1/2 c. of frosting with cinnamon, add to a ziplock bag. 
3.  Snip off a small corner and pipe on the cinnamon swirls. 
*Store these in the fridge, but set them out and let them come to room temperature before serving. 
Linking To: 

13 comments

Carla S said...

Those look super yummy! I'll have to try those!

Anji* said...

The cupcakes look delicious!
I have a cold right now so I sympathise with you ;)

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

My house passed his cold to me while we were in India. Thankfully I didn't lose my taste until we returned home. Those cupcakes sound way ... too ... good! Thanks for sharing! Drink extra oj. :) Tammy

Renée said...

Fabulous...all the coziness of a cup of cocoa with the goodness of cinnabon. I think you scored a touchdown here!

Erin said...

I hear you on the working 5 days thing. Ouch. it just plain hurts! But these cupcakes would definitely help the week! They look delicious! Thanks for the recipe (that I WILL be making!)

www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

Jami said...

Those look so yummy!
When I taught I always caught Strep throat...always. Drink your emergen-"c!"
smiles!

Kathleen said...

They look good! I think I had a terminal sore throat the first 10 yrs I taught!
Now I am retired, and my immunity is low, so my 4 little gkids, or adorable germ bags, as I call them infect me!

HoosierHomemade said...

Yum! These are amazing! You just continue to out-do yourself! :-)
Thanks, as always, for adding them to Cupcake Tuesday!
~Liz

Lisa said...

OMG, these look amazing! My stomach is growling for some!

Krista @ While He Was Napping said...

Oh my. Those look so delicious. Definitely going to have to try them. Came from Fun To Craft.

Krista
whilehewasnapping.blogspot.coc

Laura said...

These are adorable!!

April said...

Oh my gosh-my two loves together!!!!

Katie said...

Thank you for joining us at A Crafty Soiree with another of your awesome looking treats. I've had to do testing like that before, but sadly I wasn't lucky enough to work with someone nice enough to bring me in something like that!!!