Traveling Pin Cushion

Sunday, September 26, 2010

This past summer I attended a sewing/scrapbooking retreat.  One of my favorite things about retreats (other than actually getting 'stuff' done) is discovering new toys and doodads the others bring along.  One sewing gal brought along this little pill bottle someone made her as a 'hello' gift at another retreat she attended. 
She carries it with her along with a little pouch with some hand piecing fabric projects.  She said she brought this to jury duty a few weeks prior.  All the sudden 'doing my civic duty' doesn't sound so bad.  I could not find the pill bottles with the dual tops (one side twist on, the other snaps on), and I had a LOT of drug popping family members and friends I interviewed in hopes of locating these (apparently) rare jewels.  I did finally get this little bottle with a small indention via Zee, thanks Zee. 
I used some left over quilting fabric, and covered it with a scrap of fabric (any cotton would do).  I sewed the bottom together with the cotton inside for the pins to push into later. 
I used super glue, and held it firmly to the top while it dried.  I filled it with pins, needles, a small bobbin etc, and now....I'm ready for jury duty.
Linking To:
Sassy Sites

11 comments

Jo said...

I just have to say this. You can do so much better than this. What about painting the pill bottle itself with chalkboard paint or making it sparkle with sequins or glitter? The crafty Christy I know would take that very useful bottle and make it cute beyond words. She would somehow make it look like a cupcake on a stick or something.

The Autocrat: Haley said...

That is a really innovative idea!! I totally need to make one for my Grandmother!

Amanda and Cade Butler said...

I am stealing this idea. SO CUTE!

Anji* said...

What a useful little object! Every sewer should have one!

Sassy Sites! said...

What a fabulous idea! You made it look so easy too. I'm going to have to try this out! This would be the perfect gift for anyone who loves to sew! You could call it Sew on the GO! :)

the Knottie Knitta said...

My partner has some severe neurological issues, and takes about 35 pills a day, so we have TONS of these pill bottles around...my crafty self just can't stand throwing them away...i may have to use them to make sewing kits for christmas next year! thanks for the wonderful idea!

Unknown said...

I fill my prescriptions at Walgreens and they all come with those "special" lids! I cant' wait to make these! My daughters are learning to sew and these would make some great little kits for my girls.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for making this look 'do-able' or those of us who aren't as artsy-tartsy as others. The last thing I need in my handbag is glitter or something that looks cutesy, like a cupcake on a stick.

MICBERANGALE Handmade Arts, Crafts and Gifts said...

That's right! Walgreens uses this type of bottle for most of the prescription meds that are in pill Form. Dual lid that has a childproof side where the lid fits over the top of the bottle... Turn the lid upside down, and it will be able to be twisted into the top of the bottle. Love these little jars. I've used them to hold many things... From beads to condiments, salad dressing, bandage (mini 1st aid kit...

Oasis in the Woods said...

I've been collecting medicine bottles for about 5 years! My husband threatens to toss them out. Now I know what to do with them! I've used them for salad dressing when going to a restaurant and I'm on a diet. A mini air kit sounds great as well as the Sew on the Go!

Lorilee said...

Awesome. Made 5 of them to go in my "kids" (adults) Christmas stockings this year!