Halloween Broom Cookies

Monday, September 27, 2010
I saw this idea in a magazine standing in a line at the store.  I don't remember the magazine, but I can site the store that sold the magazine, will that count?  How about if I just say, it's not my ideas, but I thought it was kinda cute, and more importantly, it gave me an excuse to bake some peanut butter cookies!  I made some homemade cookie dough, but they also sell it in a tube in the refrigerated section at the store.  I molded the cold dough into the shape of a broom, and made the 'straw lines' with the back of a knife.  I'd probably go ahead and dip these in sugar next time (I like my PB cookies rolled in sugar before baking, but didn't do that this go round). 
The thing with PB cookies are that they usually don't spread too much, so they hold their shape really well as they bake, and the imprints you make pre-baking remain.  As soon as my cookies came out, I slipped a pretzel rod into each warm cookie. 
I'd make my cookies a little bit smaller next time, I think I was a LITTLE hungry when I made these cookies.  I also would like to pause and appreciate the powdered sugar drips that have nothing to do with these cookies, but another project I was finishing up.  I'm, obviously, running a really tidy work space.
When my cookies were cooled, I spooned melted chocolate over the cookies, this helped firm up the broom top to the bottom, and made them a little more colorful.  In the picture I browsed in the story they drizzled orange chocolate over the melted chocolate, but I just used left over sprinkles I had.  It's one less bottle I need to add to my will.  My imaginary great grand kids say, 'Thank you.' for this small change. 
I'm off to call my imaginary lawyer about the sprinkles count on page 19,245 of crap I'm leaving to my Great-Grandkids in a will.  And then I'm going to go join an online dating site so I can find someone to someday have Great Grandkids with, just as soon as I finish this plate of cookies.  Or not.
Linking To:
Free Pretty Things

28 comments

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

those look so good...wish I had one right now....

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Another adorable treat, Christy! Looks yummy!

Anji* said...

The cookies look yummy.. I have the same random sprinkles collection, why don't they sell them in smaller quantities?!

Shayna @ Texas Monkey said...

OH wow these are awesome, I love it! I'd love to have you link up at our party and show this off! http://texasmonkey.blogspot.com/2010/09/all-about-you-monday-halloween-costumes.html

Unknown said...

Love it!!! Think I'm going to have to try that idea.

Erin said...

These are so stinkin' adorable! I LOVE them! and will probably be stealing this idea from you =o) Very cute!

And sprinkles rock. i wish my Great Gramma would leave me a ton of them =o)

www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

Leah said...

Popping in from Skip to my Lou. I'm having a kids Halloween party this year and I HAVE to make these!

Anonymous said...

cute! use short pretzel sticks and they'll look like acorns.

Jen @ EmbellishingLifeEveryday said...

That is so clever! I am now following you :)
http://embellishinglifeeveryday.blogspot.com/

Annalea said...

My boys would love these! Who am I kidding? I would love these! Super cute idea that I'll definitely be making!

April@The 21st Century Housewife said...

These are so cute! What a great idea! And I love the idea of pretzels with peanut butter cookies too.

Ella said...

you crack me up! :) i love reading your blog!!

Anonymous said...

Christy, I'm so glad I found your blog! These cookies look awesome, I just love them. Thanks for the laughs and the great recipe. :o)

A Midwestern Mrs. said...

These are precious! Such a nice change from the typical "witch hat" cookies. Stopping by from Allison's link party...

Avril said...

I have just fallen in love with these adorable witch broom cookies!!! I really hope to make them for Halloween myself. Thank you so much for sharing such a great idea! :-)

April said...

Cute! This would be a great idea for my Harry Potter party!

Karen said...

Wow! i love them...you did a great job! Super creative. Saw you on It's fun to craft. Stop by when you get the chance:
www.karismaheartsavannah.blogspot.com

Daphne said...

Ok, these look seriously cute & yummy! I would love it if you would link up with my "Open Haunted House" Linky Party on my blog!

Here is the link:
http://moomootutu.blogspot.com/2010/10/open-haunted-house-week-3-with-giveaway.html

Ms Bingles Vintage Christmas said...

How wonderful! They look delicious! Have a boo-tiful evening!
Leticia

Anonymous said...

Very cute cookies!!

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

Cute AND yummy looking! Thanks for sharing it on Thrilling Thursday @ Paisley Passions :)

KimMalk said...

I'm always up for a cute cookie. These look great.

Miss. Tarrah Dame said...

TOO CUTE! Loving these! :p thanks for sharing!
http://damegoodeats.blogspot.com

Candace @ Candace Creations said...

SO CUTE!
I'm hosting a fall decor & crafts linky right now if you'd like to link up this post!


http://candacecreations.blogspot.com/2010/09/fall-decor-tutorial-linky.html

Katie said...

Those are so cute, you always make the sweetest looking and best tasting things! We woofed down the cupcakes, and didn't even stop to add frosting. My husband LOVED them. That's an instant "tried and true" recipe for sure! Thanks for sharing with us at A Crafty Soiree! Please join us next time too!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Love this idea! Very cute! Thanks for linking up to last week's Sweet Thursday. Hope to see you at this month's Fall edition!

Jacinda (The Reading Housewives) said...

These are awesome! I'm going to make these for my sons preschool classes Halloween party. Does anyone have any suggestions for another kind of cookie to use? Maybe a sugar cookie? I have no make a cookie without nuts due to allergies. Thanks!

Christy said...

@Jacmom-I think a sugar cookie should work, I'd sprinkle some sugar on top of the 'broom bristles' so it's a little sweet. If you need a good sugar cookie dough recipe that bakes up firm enough to hold the marks/let me know. :O) Happy baking!