Pumpkin Cupcake Ingredients (makes 21)
2 c. sugar, 3/4 c. canola oil, 1 (15 oz) can solid-packed pumpkin, 4 eggs, 2 c. flour, 2 t. baking soda, 1 t. salt, 1 t. baking powder, 1 t. cinnamon
Pumpkin Cupcake Recipe
1. Combine sugar, oil, pumpkin, eggs. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, gradually add to pumpkin mix and beat until well mixed.
2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350 for 18 minutes (until toothpick in the center comes up clean).
1 T. cornstarch, 1 c. milk, 1/2 c. shortening, 1/4 c. butter (softened), 2 c. confectioners' sugar, 1/2 t. vanilla, pretzel stick (optional)
Filling Instructions1. Combine cornstarch and milk in a saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature.
2. In a large bowl, cream shortening, butter, and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Add cornstarch mix gradually. Beat until smooth (I added at least another c. of powdered sugar because mine was really runny, and I added another 1/2 t. of vanilla. It never did get very fluffy, but it was yummy. It was fine for this cupcake b/c it's rest in the center like a filling, and hardens a little overnight. I thought about trying a cream cheese frosting, but in the end, I think this light icing is right for these yummy cupcakes, and it's even better after resting. Desserts don't get to rest often in my house.).
3. Spoon filling into pumpkins.
4. Add pretzel stick to the top for the 'pumpkin stem,' and replace over filling.