Christmas: Gingerbread: Playdough

Thursday, November 18, 2010
When I was little, my Mom and I used to make playdough.  I used to pick the colors, and I had a blast creating with my dough.  Fast forward 25 years, last year via the net, I saw that homemade playdough has gone high tech.  You can add glitter, and flavors, and...well, they had me at glitter.  This go round....I went with flavor, so I would be willing to give it away, if it had glitter...you'd have to pry it out of my cold....nevermind...here's the recipe I used. 
Basic Playdough Recipe: 
MIX: 1 c. flour, 1/2 c. salt, 1 T cooking oil, 1 T. cream of tartar, 1 c. water
MAKE IT YOUR WAY:  add color, or 1 t. of flavor (peppermint, vanilla, lavender, whatever..), or in the case of gingerbread-1 T. of cinnamon, 1 t. of allspice, 1 t. of cloves...whatever spices you want until you have the scent you want. 
PROCESS:  Mix all the ingredients, the place them in a pot, heat at medium, and stir constantly until the wet liquid dries and pulls away from the pan (this takes about a minute).  Pop it out of the pan, and knead with your hands until smooth.  If it's still sticky, add some flour. 
Now...I'm off to find a child that won't eat this, and yes, I include myself in that group.  It could happen, I get very hungry around 3 pm. 

Linking To:
Crafty Soiree Just a Girl Frou Frou Decor
Simply Sweet Home Fireflies and Jellybeans
Sassy Sites Along for the Ride Funky Junk

10 comments

Lori said...

Wonderful idea for the kids to play with while waiting on turkey dinner.

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

This is great, Christy! Good luck finding ANYONE who won't try to eat it... I bet it smells fantastic!

Anji* said...

Gingerbread playdough! That HAS to be one of THE BEST ideas I have ever heard of!! I am totally going to make some of this and put it in my kids' stockings for Christmas, along with gingerbread men cutters.. Thanks Christy :)

Erin said...

OH MY HECK!!! This rocks. Who knew??? We'll be making this for sure (and I hope we don't eat it!) =o)

Anonymous said...

Following you from Free For All Friday! :)
Awesome post!

Please follow me back at http://ashleycreations-a.blogspot.com

Thanks,
Have a wonderful weekend!
- Ashley

Crystal said...

ooooh, I'm loving the playdoh recipe! Thanks!

Amanda said...

I featured you today on my blog I would love if you stopped by to check it out! Todaystoptwenty.blogspot.com

Amanda

Nike@ChooseToThrive said...

I love this! Just added this project to my "make before Christmas list" so thanks!

Katie said...

Christy, this is such a fun idea and I like the care you've taken with the presentation too. I've been trying to figure out what little thing we'll make for our neighborhood friends and this is just the thing! Thanks for linking it up to A Crafty Soiree, we normally are on Thursday but due to Thanksgiving we're having a special Black Friday edition. I've spotlighted your link in it:) Hugs My Friend!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

We used to make playdo when I was a kid too. Such fun! What a great idea to make it gingerbread! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites last week!