Homemade Gifts for a Group: Peppermint Mocha Ornaments

Monday, December 06, 2010
I found this ornament gift idea last year via OnePrettyThing.  I thought this was a really great idea for a large group of people.  This year, the Teacher's Sunshine Committee at work decided to put together a little thank you for the PTA volunteers, and this is the idea that came to mind.  I told a lot of my pals about this, and they are trying it out for their church groups/bunko groups/kid's teachers/work friends, whatever.  It's an affordable way to do something cute for a large group of people. 
SUPPLIES: 
  • Ribbon (15 feet tied about 19 bows, but I had to be a little stingy with my ribbon),
  • SOFT candy canes (they sell them at Walmart for less than a dollar, I grabbed some at Hobby Lobby called King Arthur Soft Candy Canes for 2.99...add a 40% off coupon, and you have 18 candy canes to work with.
  • Peppermint Extract (I used Wilton's)
  • Cocoa Powder (I used Hershey's)
  • 2 oz container of instant coffee (one container will make 3 batched of the Mocha Mix).
  • Clear ornaments (they are 2 5/8 inch size).  I've seen them at lots of craft stores, but I snagged mine at Hobby Lobby at half off-3 dollars for twelve.
  • Small marshmallows...more on this later. 
MOCHA MIX: 
Mix 1/8 t. peppermint extract, 1 c. of cocoa, and 1/3 c. mocha
*Each batch makes about 8 ornaments.  I only put one serving in each of my ornaments b/c I was making so many, the original tutorial has more mix added. 

PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER:
1.  After stirring up the mix, I grabbed a Tablespoon to help with measurements, and I popped the lid off the ornament. 
2.  I took a small funnel, and measured out 3 T per ornament (this makes one serving).  I had to use a knife to help push the powder down (and a 1/4 c. measuring cup to hold my ornament in place as I worked).  I did find if you shake the ornament too much, it will coat the inside of the wall, so I kept these housed in the original plastic container before giving them out.  There was one ornament I messed up, and I just dumped the powder back into the bowl, cleaned and dried the ornament, and started over. 
3.  Next I cut down the peppermints to about the height of the ornament.  I was able to use my kitchen scissors, I'm sure a knife would work.  The soft peppermint makes your life a lot easier at this stage.  I cut them down to about 2 inches (under estimate how much to cut or it will fall down into your ornament (which is why one ended up getting powdered as I shook the candy cane out).  The originator of this ideas said it just adds a little color, and in my imagination, it might even add a little flavor. 
4.  Next, I smooshed a marshmallow into the lid.  Another idea from the original site.  There are two small holes, and this prevents the mix from spilling. 
5.  Put the lid back on.  The marshmallow will help hold the candycane in place. 
6.  I then went and rigged up a tag using paint, copy paste, and a bunch of non-computer skills.  I printed these off on some colored overhead I had left over from some picture ornaments I made.  You can buy colored overheads at office supply stores, but you can also print these on a vellum paper, or white paper with a colored border paper....whatever.  These are just little instructions for creating that Mocha.  I have no idea how to attach a word file to a blog, but I'm always up for lessons if anyone can tell me how! 
7.  I added ribbon, and then sent 24 of these guys on their way. 

18 comments

Unknown said...

How cute! I love this idea.

Digitally Delightful said...

So cute!!

Jen said...

This is the cutest thing EVER!
love it!!!

Christine said...

Oh I love these too!

Tina said...

Can you email me the tag file? I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea and want to use it for my childcare families or my kiddos friends at school!

The Autocrat: Haley said...

Such a great idea!! You are so inventive!!

Carpenter's said...

Super super cute idea!! Thanks for sharing!

tt.scraps said...

What a great idea!!! Thanks for sharing!!! :)

Jana said...

What a creative idea! Love it!

Come link up at Giggles, Glitz & Glam!

http://gigglesglitzandglam.blogspot.com/2010/12/glam-party-5.html

Amanda Dale said...

Love it! Totally cute!

Kristin @ Yellow Bliss Road said...

These are really adorable - what a great idea!!

Carrie @ Dittle Dattle said...

This is adorable! What a great idea for giving to the masses :D Thank you for linking up to "Amaze Me Monday" blog party. Hope to see you next week!

Unknown said...

I found also a website related to this topic, u can invite your fb friends. Check it out!
http://www.facebook.com/friendfund
Cheers!

Katherine said...

Very cute gift idea! Thanks so much for sharing at the Holiday Hookup!

Unknown said...

Christy, thank you so much for the awesome and encouraging comment you gave me. I am so excited that you liked the Beatles artwork we did. I hope yours turns out well and I would love to see it when you finish it.
Alwaysinwonder.com

Jana said...

You have been featured!!

Regan said...

First things first, apparently the missing link was not smushing the marshmellow into the lid. I felt the need to change things up a bit and try smushing them into the opening of the ornament. Apparently rules are meant to be followed. Additionally, funnels make life easier FYI.

Jana said...

I made a variation of these and posted them on my blog with a link back to your page! Love these! Yours turned out much cuter for sure!!