Red and Green Velvet Cake in a Jar

Thursday, December 16, 2010
     Things on sticks, things in jars....just a few of my weaknesses.  Someday....I'm going to do a week of both...just not this week.
     This year, another of my Christmas gifts for some pals are these little cakes in a jar.  I heart them.  I made some a few months ago with Carrot cake.  My source, and my process is here. 
I thought about this idea awhile back....I'm sure it's been done before, but per my usual request, let me pretend like I'm unique (the green velvet, not the cake in a jar, I'm well aware I'm not the first to try this out). 
     I've been on the hunt for a great Red Velvet cake recipe, and this is the best I've tried thus far (thanks, Laine).  I'm still searching, but this will be my go-to until I hit pay dirt (AKA Sprinkles Cupcake taste).   It was really easy, and tasted great.   I used the following recipe, but I divided it in half and dyed half green, half red and baked them in bread pans, but them up into cubes, and layered them in my jar. 
     This would be cute for the 4th of July too with blue and red velvet. 
Red...or Green Velvet Cake Recipe
Mix 1 package (18.25) yellow cake mix, 1 (3.5 oz) package instant chocolate pudding mix, 4 eggs, 1 oz red food coloring, 1/2 c. vegetable oil (or melted butter), 1 c. water, 1 T. white vinegar, 1 t. vanilla, 4 T. unsweetened cocoa powder.  Pour into greased/floured pan and bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. 
Icing Recipe
Mix 1 c. cold milk, 1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese (softened), 1 (3.5 oz) pkg instant vanilla pudding mix, 1 (8 oz) container frozen whipped topping (thawed).  Ice when cake is cool, and keep refrigerated. 
 This recipe made 12 jars. 

14 comments

Lori said...

Yummy and how cute and festive! Did Mel get a jar? Maybe I can steal it.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I love all your baking and wonderful packaging ideas. Especially with those hot chocolate cookies. :) I wish I had half your energy. I've procrastinated my way right into getting absolutely nothing done for any of the past couple of holidays and have barely started on Christmas. :/ We just started our winter break so maybe now I can find some focus. Happy day to you. Tammy

Deb said...

adorable idea....

Holly said...

Yummy! Might have to try these! Red velvet is my favoirte!

Lisalulu said...

thank you thank you thank you, what a dummy I am, I have seen these and thought it was just too hard cooking them in a GLASSJAR... duh! now I know

Unknown said...

Great idea!

Following you from BabyDealsDujour,
we list all the baby daily deals in real-time. Love to see you on Facebook and
Twitter too.

Mari said...

Okay that looks like mad fun and delish too.
Thanks for sharing.

Would love you to link it up to my premier Food Fight Link party!
http://choochmagooz.blogspot.com/2010/12/food-fight-friday-vanilla-kipferl.html
Happy Holidays
Mari

Anji* said...

YUM!! :)

annies home said...

that is a sweet idea love the colors but I can imagine this can be done in a variety of colors love your idea thanks so much for sharing

Shane and Laine said...

It was delicious:) Nothing better than that icing!!!

Lisa said...

YUM! These are super cute AND the cake sound delicious! Where's my jar? : )

DANA said...

I found you on Tater Tots and Jello! I am loving your blog, this idea is cute and yummy looking! I would like to invite you to my $50 American Express giveaway and a linky party I have, all going on this week! Happy Holidays! Keep up the great blogging!
-Dana Jean

http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/12/50-american-express-giveaway-ends.html

Allison @ House of Hepworths said...

Oh yummy!!!

Thanks for linking up to Hookin Up With HoH!

~Allison @ House of Hepworths

Susan @ Oh My! Creative said...

How festive for the Holidays -Thanks for linking to my cookie exchange.

Susan,
http://entertainexchange.blogspot.com/
Party and Entertaining Inspiration