Hand Print Ornament

Friday, December 17, 2010

I blogged 2 weeks ago about tea towels I made last Christmas for Blythe's grandparents. When her Mom held her and we attempted to get a wiggly, confused, 7 month old to press her paint smeared hand on cloth....she had other ideas. I had anticipated it might not go smoothly, so I had her put her hand down on scraps, and I cut the 'good' prints and sewed them onto the tea towels. There were a few unidentifiable attempts, and this little print I used for the ornament where we put her hand down, but then she made a fist and pull the fabric back up with her.....and though it's not a perfect hand print, it's still cute, and I couldn't stand to toss this, it was my memory of our first crafting attempt. I decided to make myself a little ornament. I used the same process I blogged about in the tea towel, sewed on a little face, used a thin permanant marker to write her name and the year, and then I bought a little hoop at the craft store for the frame base.

Notice all the cute paint smudges from that cute little bug of a baby?
I tightened the cloth into the hoop, and then added ribbon with super glue from scraps I had left over from the tea towel project, and random pieces from other projects....and now I have my own little Blythe Anne 'First Christmas' Reindeer Handprint Ornament.

4 comments

Deb said...

that is just precious....what a nice keepsake...

Erin said...

SUPER cute! What a treasure!

Anji* said...

That is so cute! I love it! She will love to see it in a couple of years and know that she made the print when she was a baby :)

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

This is so cute, Christy! I love the trim you added around the outside, too. Adorable idea!